Ways to use off-camera 580ex with umbrella at reception?

dannytekino

I agree with Marc that the video is a two person thing in the real world and I use it when I have an assistant available and I think it gives a quick and wonderful look.

Speaking of "looks" ... I also love the Jeff Ascough look; he's talented and his style fits the kind of clientèle he works with in England very well (I didn't say stuffy and boring but ...).

As I mentioned: the hard off camera lights really work well for the hard dancing of a reception. I'll be the first to admit that not all receptions may "want" that style.

Isn't it wonderful that we can now start talking about matching different lighting styles with specific wedding needs ... this seems to be the next level becoming available.

btw, Jeff just discovered that RAW files are better for weddings than jpg files so could he be chasing the customers needs?

Dunno, just a thought.

Thanks Marc and William--sorry Danny about kind of taking this detour. I also love Jeff's work and admire his ability to get what he gets without flash, etc. However, in my market and in this area (California sunshine), I just can't get away from flash. I kind of thought the video lights might be too much for me. However, I was also thinking of some of the weaker, battery powered ones--I've seen a few mentioned--just for moody night time shots or first dance shots or something...or not. Just been pondering.

Thanks again everybody for your replies, and Nadine, no need to apologize for the detour. <br><br>

As suggested, I am going to order a pocket wizard, and I'm also going to go through the entire Strobist site step by step to try to master the art of off-camera lighting. Also as suggested, I'm thinking of abandoning the 2nd flash idea for this weekend, and will maybe try it at the next wedding I assist with. <br>

I think it's more important at this stage, for me to concentrate on mastering a few basics (eg, dragging the shutter etc.) I will certainly utilize the suggestions posted here in the next few weeks. Thanks.

Way to go Danny!

One suggestion: put up your off camera set up (once you get your pocket wizards, take some photos, then break it down. Then, repeat that again later in the day or the next day in a slightly different location in your home or even outside if space is an issue.

The important part is to get used to the set up, then setting flashes to M mode and dialing in the power you want to start at. Then tear it down and start over again.

What this gives you is practical experience when Not under the fire of time (which is not a readily available commodity at most weddings); your body and mind will be trained in the method and you're better prepared.

Just some thoughts. Maybe you'll bring a photo back to this thread in a few weeks? That would be nice to see the results of your journey and the success to encourage others.