OKARO: Proper way to use?

mark_ehlers

I just won an OKARO for my IIIf RD. For those of you here that actually use one

of these, which window do you prefer to use it on, the VF or the RF window? I'm

not looking for past links to a related discussion, but rather feedback from

someone who is currently using one of these, and why you chose to use it the

way you do. It seems that the opinions vary.

Thanks!

Apparently it depends on the particular camera you're using. It increases the contrast best for my Leica II on the direct window, while it works best on the mirror window for my IIIF. Incidentally, the OKARO is for pre IIIC bodies -- I'm surprised that it fits your IIIf (I can't recall the code name for that one, but it is definitely a different part).

I guess it depends on the transparency / reflectivity of the half-mirror and the condition of the prism behind the window on the reflected side (winder side). So if the rangefinder is in good condition it should, theoretically, work best on the rewind-side window.

But you just put it on the side which distinguishes the superimposed images best.

What it does is to even up the tonality while increasing the colour contrast of the images.

I guess it depends on the transparency / reflectivity of the half-mirror and the condition of the prism behind the window on the reflected side (winder side). So if the rangefinder is in good condition it should, theoretically, work best on the rewind-side window.

But you just put it on the side which distinguishes the superimposed images best.

What it does is to even up the tonality while increasing the colour contrast of the images.

On my IIIf, I had to move my OKARO to the 'rewinderknob-side' window because, in the other

'window,' it interfered with the removal of lenses with an infinity lock... I'm never sanquine

about replacing one problem with another problem...

[Adrian! "splain" ... kudos... my wife uses the same neologism... :-) ... ]

Johnnycake

I have an ORAKO on my IIIa on the rangefinder window, which I beleive is the "proper" window to put it on. it works by increasing the contrast of the split image and does a great job. I do have a little trouble with the infinity lock on my summaron 35/3.5 but most lenses go on fine- the trick is to unlock the lens and crank it out, otherwise its easy enough to remove and re-install the ORAKO.