Used K10D or new K200D?

yvon_bourque1

Given that both cameras use the same 10MP CCD, will it be a better deal buying

a used K10D or to get a new K200D? If you think the K10D still is a better buy

and is a better camera, do you think it will raise the price of used K10D's?

Will the new additional features of the K200D be worthy of it's $800.00 plus

price?

One is the new entry-level camera and the other is what used to be the

company's flagship.

Yvon Bourque

Simple...New K10D or used K10D, K200D is a crippled K10D, with LESS sealing. Smaller buffer, less user friendly control menu, etc.

The only advantage I see to the K200D is the AA batteries. In most cases with 3-4 LI-50 or NP400s you should be good for days or weeks off the grid (those things hold a charge for a while) in any conditions, but nevertheless, AA can be advantageous in extreme cold (lithiums) and also for extended off the grid shooting where solar charging is neither prefered or possible.

Just recently someone informed me that the idiot on youtube some time ago running his K10D under the faucet with the 16-50 was none other than Ned Bunnel.

Whats significant is that I learned the K10D is actually splash proof, not just weather proof. It, the E-1, and E-3 are the only SLRs on the market like this.

No, not the D200/300, not the 1DMIII, not the D3. Only those three.

Now if someone can disprove this, go for it as it certainly could be urban legend.

I questioned the gasket on the lens mount that canon has, and the answer was water seepage into the mount was nearly improbable with or without a gasket. (i'd assume the light proof gap on the lens mount is so small when properly mounted that the surface tension of water cannot break it, perhaps soapy water which would reduce the surface tension might enable it to penetrate).

Of course, Ned Bunnel (now president of Pentax USA) can afford to "test" his Pentax under the faucet. It's not like the warranty department will turn him down. "sorry Ned, you used the camera in an improper manner." Unless of course that warranty tech wants to earn himself, un-enjoyment (thats unemployment for those of us who have enjoyed the 6-9 months paid vacation, god those were good times!!!).

The K10D is at its lowest price point, but It is highly likely that the K200D's price will drop to a lower point before long. The K10D has in most respects a superior spec sheet. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether the K200D has implemented notable image improvement. I would expect RAW to be nearly identical but K200D may have improved JPEGs.

I would still expect to be able to find a new K10D with warranty today but they will likely become increasingly difficult to find. The K20D's introduction may push a few K10D's onto the used market though.

I'm a little confused why everyone assumes that because Pentax is going to stop making the k10d, you won't be able to buy it new anymore. Last march, I bought a brand new *istDL, and there are still plenty of brand new *istD's floating around out there. they may be sans warranty, but new is new, and I have a feeling that i'll be able to buy a fresh-out-of-the-box K10D next year when i have the money for it.

I don't doubt that Adam.

It might be tough to track one down, but I often hear of film bodies being purchased new so I'm thinking you are correct.

The only issue is a $499 at some places (perhaps shady), how long can a fully weather proof 10MP, 9-12RAW, 100,000 shutter actuation body last?

The ist D was a nice camera, is a nice camera, but it was an also ran. The ist series was a bunch of up and downgrades depending on perspective so again, it doesn't suprise me that they are all still avail.

This camera, however, is still pretty special based on all the features, and at $500 I'm thinking it will be tough to track down new.

And even used, I'm guessing people will hold onto it more so than typical consumer bodies. Or, as in my case, probably skip the K20D since I have yet to find the tree that money grows on and 12,000 shutter clicks + maybe 1000 DOF clicks isn't really getting the most from a body that will probably only fetch $300-400 (tops) used...

• 2 months later...

I shoot mainly travel and birds as a Sunday photographer.

Seeing the gradual retreat of film, I intend to buy either a K10D or a K200D on account of the SMCP-M lenses I use with 2 MX bodies: 28/2.8,35/2,50/1.4,100/2.8,80-200/4.5,400/5.6.

As I see it, I could do with another 16mm or 18mm lens. As to the camera, I see the AA batteries as an advantage in the K200D for a developing country denizen. How much of a difference would the absence of a pentaprism on the K200D make for me, seeing that I use mainly manual-focus lenses.

Grateful for a considered response.<div>00PBEW-42941984.jpg.7556443ce7369bbebe4c11c9d594edc1.jpg</div>