Pentax firmware download - Frustrated!

rose_duclos

Ok, I've attempted 4 times already to download the k10d 130 update, and each

time, It's taking forever to do, and then I get an error message that stops me

before it's complete. 4 times - the same message - -

"Internet Explorer cannot download k10e130w.exe from www.pentaximaging.com. An

internal error occured in Microsoft internet extensions."

Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations on how I can fix it?

I know it's a good update, and I want it. But I'm baffled on how to get it,

now.

Help?

-Rose

Ok, now I got a different error message from firefox. after 40 minutes of downloading, and only about 300 kb worth ... (so slow)

the error message reads:

"C:\documents and settings\rose duclos\desktop\k10e130w.exe.part could not be saved,, because the source file could not be read.

try again later, or contact the server administrator."

At this rate, I think I'm going to wait until I see my friends tomorrow and see if I have better luck on one of their computers.

All this waiting around for the download did have a one positive effect - It gave me time to play around some more with the menus on the camera, and I think I figured out why my pictures were coming out so yellow without the flash (indoors at night).

I still need that upgrade though.

Oh well. If Im getting up for early for that nature walk, I should be getting into bed.

I'll post to let you know how it goes, tomorrow.

-Rose

<p>Rose,</p>

<p>For me the download happened so fast I wasn't able to time it -- about 1 second.</p>

<p>It's possible that Pentax's server was having a problem when you were trying. It could also be that there was a relay problem between wherever you are and Pentax's server -- sort of a traffic problem on the Internet. Try again tomorrow.</p>

I got part of mine done for my K100D but could get no further than installing the installation mechanism on my desktop. I called Pentax and I guess I need to install some kind of unzipper or ziplock opener, available from some website.. nice to get things that work smoothly with no hasstle, heh?

I didn't make it over to the friends house today, after all. I am trying to do the download again - on both firefox and IE simultaneously. Both extremely slow, Firefox seems slightly quicker than IE, but not much. I am also attempting to download the adware program, and that's also extremely slow going.

I must have something seriously wrong with my computer. If this continues to act like this, I may beg one of you to email me the zipped file. Luckily, my email is still working at the correct speed.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it.

-Rose

Thank you for all the advice, everyone. Andrew emailed the update to me and it's now installed in my camera. It's to late in the day to play with these new features tonight (after midnight here).

It was a fantastic weekend for photos. The new england foliage has finally decided to change, and it's positively splendid out there. :) I hiked around a place down in the south shore (Boston) on Saturday - a place called "World's End". If anyone is looking for spots to see nature, near the city - I'm recommending it. It's next to the water. There's lots of beautiful rock outcrops, and yes, trees - so many trees.

It was my first time there, and since it's off the beaten path - relatively low key. I only saw a few people there, walking their dogs.

Thanks again, all. Much appreciate the advice and help.

-Rose

GS,

I was extremely lucky - I had the version I needed emailed to me. I think my problem was more that I have a slow connection, more than having an issue with the software itself. I had similar problems downloading ADWare, too.

If your computer is opening it with the wrong software, it sounds like you may need to do some programming to stop that. Technically you aren't running the program on your computer. You are only clicking on it, to make the two files - one, the read file, the other (a "bin"). The bin portion is what is moved over to the blank SD card.

Maybe someone on here uses a MAC knows how to stop ADOBE from opening? Or can send you the opened file?

GS, Pentax is, for some strange reason, using an archive format that was popular years ago on pre- OS X Macs. Download Stuffit Expander from <a href="http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html">here</a> and use that to open the file (K10E130M.hqx).

<p>

- OR -

<p>

Download DropUnLHA from <a href="http://www.fan.gr.jp/~sakai/lha.php">here</a> and use it to open the <i>Windows</i> version of the firmware (k10e130w.exe).