200mm f/1.8 price

jose_castro1

Well since Adorama now has the F2.0 on pre order for 6000.00. Depending on the condition of your possible lens I would say you have a good deal. But you really aren't going to know how good of a deal till the 2.0 comes out and theres an IQ comparision of them. Get it and let me know how it is:)

I've seen these going for as much as USD 4500, so 3800 looks good if it's in nice condition.

I may be a little wierd, but I think the new 200/2 will actually INCREASE the value of the 200/1.8 in the short term because of the demand for the new version. For the first time, there is a choice for an ultrafast 200 from Canon. Of course the pros will go for the new one with IS but for the rest of us, the older one will look more and more attractive. When the supply of the new lens meets the intital demand and starts to drop, the 200/1.8 will also get cheaper again.

I missed a showcase version of this lens a yr ago for 4g oz$ then I thoght no parts so if things go wrong expensive paperweight, yet I know wow what a gem. The 2.8 is sharp, compact and does not stand out like dogs b**** and very usable. The 1.8 is a collectors item and only valued if fully workable. somehow I feel the new f2 will end up the same.

just my 02c

The MSRP of the 200/2 IS is $6,000 but you have to remember the Nikon 200/2 VR sells under $4,000 at B&H. They are virtually the same lens with comparable optics.

After the dusts settle down, the price of 200/2 IS will eventually drop close to the Nikon's. So what's the point of paying $3800 for a used 200/1.8 without IS now when you probably be able to get a brand new 200/2 IS for same price in one year or two? Just a thought.

$3800 may be a good price based upon past prices paid for the 200/1.8, and it's an incredible lens...

But, if it's AF goes out there is no way to repair it (no parts available) and it doesn't have IS.

My money will stay in my pocket until the new 200/2 IS settles to a price more comparable to the Nikkor 200/2 VR.

What was Canon thinking? You can get the Nikkor *and* a D300 for what Canon wants for their new lens.... The Canon had better be blazingly good!

Thanks everyone! The unit's in mint condition (only the case has a few scratches) but more importantly, the seller let me take some time to take pictures with it. He's got two units and is worried that the prices will be coming down hard when the f/2 comes out.

As for me, I can't stop thinking what this thing can do with or without my 1.4x II.

Seems like a good price. You are very close to the prices that many others have been quoting. If you like the lens, and can afford it (as well as use it) I'd go for it. I've seen a few people quoting 2800 from ebay. At that price you are looking at some wear and tear. At 3800 I'd expect perfection in IQ and physical condition. A scratch on the body means nothing.

Binyuan Chen, Feb 17, 2008; 01:41 p.m

After the dusts settle down, the price of 200/2 IS will eventually drop close to the Nikon's. So what's the point of paying $3800 for a used 200/1.8 without IS now when you probably be able to get a brand new 200/2 IS for same price in one year or two? Just a thought.

Time vs money. Yea, if you can wait long enough, like the 5D came out at $3xxx and how it's $2xxx. The point is time. If you don't need to shoot at 200mm f2.0, then you can wait for the price to come down years after.

`Time vs money. Yea, if you can wait long enough`

anson, you should be so lucky, major suppliers here are still pushing the 5d at 3200aud, only down 300 in 2yr. course can get it for 2700 without canon waeantee. I doubt this new lens will ever be had here at a reasonable price :>(

chris JB, Feb 18, 2008; 08:27 p.m.

`Time vs money. Yea, if you can wait long enough`

anson, you should be so lucky, major suppliers here are still pushing the 5d at 3200aud, only down 300 in 2yr. course can get it for 2700 without canon waeantee. I doubt this new lens will ever be had here at a reasonable price :>(

Plan a vacation in the USA and mail order the 5D to your hotel, save hundreds :-)