Focusing sharpness on the GG

kim yee

Hi, I am focusing with Nikon 135mm/f5.6 W as well as Fujinon 210mm/f5.6L. There seem to be a huge

difference bettween image sharpness on the GG. what I mean is when I got the nikon lens in focus. I can't

see a lot of details, but tthat is the best I can get it to focus to even if I stop down. But with the 210mm I

can get prettty good details. even without sttopping down. I am wondering if this is normal witth wider

lens or do I need to get my lens serviced/checked?

How does the image look on film? If your GG has a fresnel that may be messing with the image from the 135 as it is a bit wide, and wide angles often get a blackout effect from the mismatch in focal lengths.

I would definitely inspect the lens for hazing or fungus. If the film images is just as mushy a trip to the lens doctor may be in order.

Hmm. 135 mm isn't particularly wide for 4x5.

Seemingly unrelated but relevant. 80 mm is wider on 2x3 than 135 is on 4x5. I have no trouble focusing my 80/6.3 WF Ektar on any of my 2x3 Graphics.

Yee, I take it that your 135 Nikon is new to you. Get it checked, it should form a good image on the GG wide open.

But before you do that, check that it is mounted etc. properly. One possibility with any number of causes. One of the cells isn't fully seated in the shutter. If the lens is on a thick wood board, the board may prevent the rear cell from going all of the way into the shutter.