Calibration-external monitor and laptop

Hi. I just purchased an external monitor to use with a laptop. I also purchased

Eye-One display 2, to calibrate it.

I can't figure out how to get the calibration software to run on the external

monitor. When I run it, it only shows on the laptop monitor. The external only

shows the background that is normally on the laptop screen. I can drag things

from the normal screen over to it, but can't get the calibration program to show.

Any ideas?

Never mind. I figured out that part.

I'm still confused with the calibration process, although I get the feeling it should just be a simple procedure.

I ran the "match" program, and when I then viewed Flickr, which has grey side-bars, the side-bars were lavender.

Anyone want to walk a complete newbie through this process?

It's a PC.

I ran the calibration program, but I am so new at this, that I wasn't sure what values to use in the advanced area. I ran the basic, and did some brief print editing. When I looked at the print on my CRT screen, it looked washed out, althought it looked contrasty and bright on the LCD monitor I had calibrated.

I sent it to someone else, who said it looked flat.

OK, first thing you need to do is disable Adobe Gamma before calibrating. Go to Start>Run, type "msconfig" (no quotes), click the Startup tab. Look down the list to find Adobe Gamma and uncheck the box.

Next (and I'm sure this is in your Eye One instructions somewhere), reset the monitor to factory specs. This is done using the On Screed Display (OSD) controls on the monitor itself. There may be additional instructions regarding setting color temperature, brightness & contrast, etc. in your instructions. All these would also be done using the OSD controls.

Third, adjust your ambient room lighting to where it will be when you are actually doing Photoshop work. This is important.

Last, re-read the instructions carefully to make sure you have everything covered. The first time is always the hardest. Once you get the setup routine down, future calibrations will be easy.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: You might want to turn off your screen saver, if you're using it. If it pops up in the middle of the calibration process, you'll have to start over......

Thank you! The Eye One didn't come with any sort of instruction booklet, which is part of the problem. It came with a little fold-out with simple steps, like plug in the devicde, and follow the instructions on the screen.

When I get home tonight, I'l check the disk and see if there are more detailed instructions in it somewhere.

Now-do I turn Adobe Gamma back on after calibrating? I looked at the website for the lab I use, and they had settings listed for their printer. It had gamma settings. Do I set both the monitor and Photoshop to match their settings? (And, uh, how do I get to the settings in Photoshop? I'm using CS3.)

Hi Karen,

My copy of Eye-One Display 2 came with a CD that contained a detailed audio-visual presentation. Your CD probably has the same.

Adobe Gamma should be turned off permanently; it is not what your lab is talking about.

The Photoshop settings are in Edit>Color Settings.

If you have any further trouble with Eye-One displaying on the laptop monitor but not the external monitor, look at your earlier thread in which I made some comments on how to avoid this problem.

Thank you! I used your previous advice last night, and was able to get it up and running.

Tonight I'll be going home to try again to get it calibrated. I'll check the cd for that presentation.

Will there be a place where I input the info from the lab, in order to make sure it all matches? (I'm at work and so can't check it right now.)

Oh my gawd, I am so frustrated.

I can no longer get the calibration screen to show up on the external monitor. I don't know how I did it last night.

I've tried toggling the screens, but if I make the external monitor number 1, or set it as the primary, it simply shuts off.

I cannot figure this out.

I am coming very seriously close to throwing this thing out the window.

Somehow, it is now magically appearing on the external screen. I don't know why, as I didn't change anything of which I am aware.

However, it keeps saying it cannot detect the position of the Eye-One, which is placed right where it should be on the screen.