I plan a trip for next summer (in July 2008)to the north rim of the Grand

Canyon, starting from Kanab (Utah). On my map, there is a road from Fredonia to

Tuweep. As I understand most of this road is unpaved, but is it possible to

drive on this road up to the end with a normal car (in fact a mini-van) and not

with a 4x4.

I already imagine my photos taken at Toroweap Overlook, at least if I manage to

get there !!

Edgard

Most of this road is driveable in a van. However, the last 1/2-1 mile is very rough, clearance

is most important there. Probably could still do it in a mini-van, but you will be going VERY

slow. Also keep in mind, most of this road is clay, you cannot drive it if it is wet. Even 4x4

vehicles will slip and slide all over the road when it is wet.

That last 1/2-1 mile can be a tire buster, too. Even if you go slow enough to avoid bottoming, I really, really, really recommend having more than one spare tire.

And take a bunch of water. Make that two bunches. You will sweat out a huge amount of body water and not realize it because of the dryness (typical summer afternoon RH <10%).

All warnings aside, go and have a great time. You are in for an amazing experience.

Well Bob, I think that I will skip the idea allthogether. We will be in a rental car, and I would certainly hate being stuck there with my wife and three kids (aged 11 to 13).

We will go for the more classical visit to the North Kaibab trail and hike it down partially, being carefull not to go to far down and not beign able to come back during the same day.

As for the weather conditions and the amount of water to carry, we already were in Utah and Arizona this summer (2007)for 3 weeks and come back to see other places. We are thus well aware of that problem and that is certainly wise to take a lighter lens and a heavier amount of water !!

Edgard

Edgard,

Ignorance is bliss. I did it in a rented car, a Caddy no less, back in 1995 or 96. It was rough going but worth it. And I did it with older parents in the car, plus my wife and a ton of luggage and gear. It was a miracle we made it in one piece. Had I known what I was in for at the outset, I would have rented an SUV 4x4. That being said, I would try it with a minivan, I think yiou'll be OK, as long as the weather is dry and the road itself dry for at least the previous week or two. Good luck!

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck