Replacing MP covering

I've been interested in replacing the cover on my stock MP with something akin

to vulcanite. I could DIY but, 1) I've heard the stock MP covering is a bugger

to remove, and 2) will the new skin from places like Aki-Asahi and Cameraleather

stick well and not come off in the corners and edges with time. Does anyone have

any experience and/or suggestions here?

I realize similar questions to this have been asked before. But, I'm really

interested in experiences especially w.r.t. removal of the original MP covering.

Thanks,

Ron

First suggestion. Don't removed the cover yourself. The two places you mention should be

able to do the job for you. You might also contact Leica and see if they can do it for you.

Leica has some very nice skins. They will charge you a lot but you have a Leica guarantee.

I own an MP, and I removed the sharkskin cover and replaced it with a new one from Aki

Asahi. I recovered the camera about six months ago, and at the time he was carrying the

MP covering. I'm surprised he's not carrying it anymore, as I remember it's identical to the

cover for the M6.

Removing the original covering was fairly easy, I think because what really causes these

things to stick is hardening of the glues over really long periods, as in decades. The

covering peeled off in one piece and left almost no adhesive residue. The new covering

went on fairly easily, w/ only a sliver having to be trimmed to get a perfect fit.

At a cost of only $18, and given that it's a straightforward procedure, there's no reason

not to do it yourself (save the desire for genuine leather or other exotic covering). I

ordered two, one deep pebble emboss and one standard emboss, and they are both great.

Juan,

That's brilliant! Thank you for your reply.

I thought it would be a really tough go to remove the covering. Now, I just have to pick a skin. I'm trying to get as close to the original M3,M2,M4 style vulcanite as possible. Aki-Asahi's #4008 covering seems closest.

Do you have any tips on removing the covering? i.e. where to start the cut... how you pulled it off?

Thanks again

Start at the back (lift up the edge w/ a knife), and come around to the front, and cut when

you get to the self-timer and preview levers. I had the most trouble with the film door,

which is only a little rectangle w/ the hole cut out for the iso dial. Seems the door in back

is made of a different material than the metal alloy of the camera body, and this caused a

little bit of stickiness w/ the adhesive.

The material from Aki Asahi is different than vulcanite, but I would not call it plasticky.

The grip is secure enough for me. In fact, I think the 4008 has a more supple feel than

the regular vulcanite of the M2/M3/M4. I know b/c I replaced the vulcanite on my M2, and

I much prefer the 4008. But it all depends on what you like and what you are used to. If

you simply must have vulcanite, then do as Jerry did. If you must have leather, go to

cameraleather. The 4008 is good for me. I actually have the 4034 on my camera now,

and though this is a tad more "plasticky," I'm happy enough with it now. Eventually, I'll

install the 4008 (which is what I had on my M2). Btw, I own an M4, w/ original vulcanite,

and it's in great shape, but there's no denying that it feels brittle (tactilely speaking) due to

age, but I hardly notice these things when I'm shooting. I think you'll be happy w/ the

4008 covering.

Glad to be of help. Check Aki's website for instructions on how to install the cover. There's

a simple but specific way to do it. The website is not easy to navigate, so here are

instructions for an install:

http://aki-asahi.net/store/html/M3_buddha/install-4008/

The above instruction are for an M3 w/ buddha-ear strap lugs, but the technique will be the

same w/ the MP, except it will be simpler to apply b/c MP does not have a self-timer lever.

Juan,

I ordered the #4008 covering tonight. I expect it'll take a couple of weeks to arrive. In the mean time I tried to remove the back cover material from My MP. It really wasn't very difficult. The residue left over on the metal, while pesky, was removed with simple Isopropyl alcohol and a bit of elbow grease. I'll do the rest of the camera when the new covering arrives. Wish me luck.

Ron

Ron, that was my experience exactly removing the back covering. You'll be surprised how

quickly the cover arrives, sometimes in less than a week. Do check that it is the right style--

when I ordered the 4034, Aki sent one that obviously was not deep pebble. He quickly sent

me the correct cover, plus a funky faux lizard covering that is really rubbery, for "practice."

Btw, if anyone wants them, I have two extra coverings that will fit an MP or M6 (non-ttl, but

maybe also ttl). One of them is the aforementioned rubbery faux lizard, and the other is a

leatherette that has very light embossing, and is a little shiny (it is neither style 4008 nor

4034). E-mail me if you want one of these.

• 2 weeks later...