Nikon 85mm 1.8

james_martin9

This is a follow up to my 50mm 1.4 question. I had very poor results under very

low ambient lighting with spot lights scattered throughout the scenes I was

shooting. The photos has alot of flare, ghosting and color fringing, as well as

what looked like halos around some of the people in the scenes. First, I admit

the lighting was very poor, but I have shot the same types of scene with my 70-

200 2.8VR with none of those issues. Some have said that is an inherent trait

to super fast lenses wide open and other say I might have a bad copy.

Regardless, I am taking it back and possibly trading for an 85 1.8 because that

suits my shooting better. Will this lens exhibit similar behavior wide open in

very contrasty type situation between focused bright lights and dark rooms.

Fast doesn't have so much to do with it; it's easier to exclude direct light sources when shooting with a narrower-angle lens. Coatings and lens shades also enter into the equation, but like Jeff said -- shoot into the light, get flare. Photography is all about managing light.

Any lens can be forced to flare under the right (read: wrong) conditions. Especially fast lenses. As Josef noted, lenses with narrower angles of view make it easier to exclude stray light. OTOH, they can also exclude desired subject matter. ;>

If you have the luxury of time and space to move around you can sometimes reduce the effect of ghosting. Reorienting the camera relative to the light source can sometimes minimize the ghosting. But it's more difficult to avoid veiling flare if the lens is prone to it.

All lens models have different characteristics.

The 35-70/2.8D AF is very resistant to veiling flare but prone to ghosting when bright light sources are directly in the frame. They're actually very colorful little buggers. Between the two types of flare, I'll take the ghosting. It can sometimes be retouched, while nothing can rescue a photo from veiling flare with its reduction on contrast and color saturation.

My particular sample of the cheap 18-70 DX is surprisingly resistant to all kinds of flare. Beats any midrange zoom I've owned, in that respect.

The 50/1.8D AF is reasonably flare resistant. I haven't seen any ghosting but there is some veiling flare when it's used wide open, such as in poorly lit school gyms. Maybe a lens hood would help - I don't normally use one with the 50 because the front element is fairly deeply recessed inside the barrel. Lazy me.

It's been a while, but AFAIR shooting into the sun with my 85/1.8 resulted in very bad flare, dramatically reduced contrast and ghosts. Now it never leaves the house without lens hood. From what I've heard the 85/1.4 is better in this regard but for its price it should be.