Wide open performance of ultra fast 50mm lenses tested.

tomasz_widlak1

Hello all,

I just finished testing wide open performance of some ultra-fast 50mm lenses in

real world use. It will be useless comparison for some of you or even most of

you but I guess some may benefit so I?m posting it here as well :-)

--> <a href="http://iliveforbokeh.wordpress.com/"

target="_blank">http://iliveforbokeh.wordpress.com/</a>

enjoy

I found the light fall-off at the corners of the Leica images interesting. I could spot the Leica shots in the thumbnails by the darker corners. I guess at f/1.0 that's to be expected! It would've been interesting to see it compared to Canon's now discontinued 50mm f/1.0 - which probably weighs twice what the Noctilux does.

I would agree about the Canon f/1.4 versus the f/1.2L; for me, the price difference does not justify the differences in image quality.

It's nowhere near as fast but the Canon 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens is incredibly sharp, wide-open. I suspect it might not be your cup of tea in the bokeh department though, but for sharpness freaks, it's hard to beat.

"I would agree about the Canon f/1.4 versus the f/1.2L; for me, the price difference does not justify the differences in image quality."

When you get in to high-end lenses, it seldom does. However, the build quality is superb, and if you want f/1.2, you want f/1.2. Having used the lens, I think it's worth it.

Keith

The strange thing about the Canon 50mm f1.2 L is that people report that it is a problem lens (as per reports on forums) but if you read the forums just about everyone that actually OWNS the lens (as opposed to never even held one or maybe used one in a shop as a test) raves about how much they love it. Its the same with me. I have no idea how good/bad it is at photographing test charts but on real world subjects its great. I use it on a 5D and it must be the lens that stays on the 5D most often. And yes, I use it mainly at f1.2 or f1.4 of maybe f2.0 - thats why I bought it. If you don't shoot open most of the time with it then save your money. My only gripe is that at f1.2 in bright sunlight I cannot go fast enough on the shutter speed (even at 1/8000) and keep a polariser handy just to act as an ND filter.

The 50/0.95 can be seen over at Canon's Camera Museum. Obviously it didn't make it into the EOS line, not even into the FD era. Interestingly it doesn't seem to have been any more expensive than the current 50/1.2L, relatively speaking. Filter thread was 72mm. It keeps me wondering if maybe, perhaps, possibly those really fast L primes could be made a little smaller than they are today...

The Canon f/0.95 never did make it to the EOS nor FD mounts. But what really stinks is that even if you find on you can't mount it on you EOS and still have infinity focuse beacuse the flange focal distance is only 28.80 mm. While the EF is 44. I have seen on on a C mount camera, they are big.

Something I have always thought about the size of the new lenses vs. the old. Is that the AF and IS and etc. electronics of the new lenses is what makes them bigger. Also the use of plastics and other materials that they can't cut as thin and still be strong. If you ever seen a FD 1.4 50mm and a EF 1.4 50mm they are sort of close in length but diameter they really differ.

By the way must say I agree with one of the first posters. The Noctilux f/1.0 is very distinctive. very nice comparison

<i>[W]ith the exception of Leica Noctilux which shows amazing ?character? the rest of the bunch are pretty much the same when it comes to wide open performance; the differences are very subtle and could be corrected with Photoshop very easily in order to make all the pictures looks EXACTLY the same.</i>

<p>

Actually, I'd say that about all of them. The "Leica character" is light falloff and subtly better composition.

<p>

DI