Nikon 50mm 1.4

james_martin9

Wow ! thats an amazing flare! .. Its probably to do with the reflection off the sensor being reflected back from the uncoated back element of the lens.. That must be an older Nikkor you have. The new Nikkors have a miniscus back element that is coated so it does not flare so badly!

Yup, flare, ghosting and softness can be a problem with fast lenses used wide open, especially when a bright light source is directly in the frame.

Besides the flare and ghosting I see chromatic aberration around the light and other areas of high contrast (such as the outline between the right elbow and paper on the desk). This particular aberration, usually purplish, is typical of digital cameras. It and the more familiar CA we see on film can both be corrected with software.

Lenses developed specifically for digital cameras can sometimes minimize these problems through better coatings. A multicoated front mounted filter may work better than a single coated filter if you use one.

Other than that, the only solution is to avoid shooting into light or dig around for those incredibly expensive fast lenses used by cinematographers and find an adapter for mounting to your Nikon. There's a reason why most of our lenses cost hundreds of dollars, high end motion picture lenses cost thousands and those magic optics used in satellites cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most photographers can't afford the really incredible optics so we settle for very good to excellent.

Honestly though, I have been shooting LOTS with just my little D40X in these same conditions at home trying out my 50mm 1.8 and I don't get ANYTHING like this. I do everything with it and took lots of pictures with it at the NAVY BALL last night and got NO FLARES at all. NONE

I even tried to get the affect for fun. SO, I don't know. weird.

Does it do it when you are on manual? Just curious as that is all I am aloud to do on my camera.

"Just about any lens will flare with the photo you took."

In general, that statement is true with lens of the same price range but things get a little different when the price range is bumped up. I do not see and experience Leica-M lenses flare as easily in many of my night time shots with strong lighting.