Digital Assett mgmt. tool choice

You really need to take them for a test drive. I'm currently test driving lightroom. You might consider it as well. Of the ones I test drove I think iView was the nicest. It had some odd glitches on my particular computer so I didn't go for it. (That and the MS buyout made me wary.)

A couple of cheaper options with a lot of followers are imatch and idimager.

Not an answer to your question but I would throw it out there.

Bridge is not an asset management tool. It takes advantage of the O/S file system - organization is your responsibility. Extensis' Portfolio is probably the best. It is quick, compact and scalable up to the enterprise level.

For a one-user system, Portfolio is good (I use it) as well as Adobe LightRoom. Both of these products allow multiple views and categories without requiring multiple copies of the original image. Both also retain thumbnails even if the original is moved or taken off-line. LightRoom also offers a CMS work flow, non-destructive editing and close-coupling with other Creative Suite applications.

ACDSee is what it is, and lingers on the fringes of a true work flow.

I have used Extensis Portfolio and iView MediaPro in the past. Now I'm using Lightroom.

Bridge only handles manipulating image files on live volumes. It has no ability to handle off-

line media. That makes it too limited for my needs. I use it as a workflow automation

coordinator for the Creative Suite.

Godfrey