Bowens GM500 or Elinchrom FX 400

wojtek_kalinowski

I have recently been looking to do something similar, and find I prefer the Bowens, particularly if you want/need to be independent of mains power sometimes.

My preference is for the Bowens Esprit Gemini 500/500 Travel-Pak kit, which seems to be exceptional value for money, or the Standard kit, which still gives you the option to add a 'Travel Pak' later at reasonable cost. (adding a battery kit in Elinchrom was a lot pricier with no corresponding advantage that I could find!).

Mind you I can't justify the expense right now since my 20 year old Multiblitz Minilites are still giving me great service.

yes and no - its so new that there is not a lot of information on it ( and maybe the demand is not that great). Try Bowens web site and try www.robertwhite.com ( an english suplier) - they are selling them for 895? ex vat!! I too are considering purchasing it. But for now i settel for 2x500 + travelpack and 2 x 580exll - gets me some of the way.

Thanks Anna, found it now! http://www.bowens.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=299 - I should have looked at Robert White before, I've used them in the past and they are within traveling distance of my home!

Due to the cost, it looks like two Travel-Paks may be a better solution for me, if required, although the Turbo would have greater capacity.

Wojtek - sorry to hi-jack your thread!

I think that Robert whites prices are great - but the shipping prices to Denmark ruins things. Actually next time i have alot to spend (want to get profoto) im going to England my self to get things.Way to few pro dealers makes compition and prices very high. Tipycal Danish i think. Ex. get a simpel umbrella adapter (hama) costs 100$ - at flashzebra.com they cost 14$!!!!!!! - just a bitter photographer:)Btw moving around with 2xtravelpack - youll get very irritated in no time and start leaving one set at home - thats my oppinion.