buy an indoor lighting set so that I can offer the indoor portrait option. I

have had nothing but happy clients so far. I have the room to take indoor

portraits of up to 3 people but I need a lighting kit. I see in the back of

photo mags and on the web that I can get a 3 light set up with soft boxes and

stuff for around $500. I have the basic background set ups already. I only use

a Nikon D70 and Photoshop CS with Hodgysoft software. Everyone so far has been

very happy with my work and they have been spreading "the word." Can anybody

give me ANY advice regarding indoor lighting? I don't want anything that is

permenent, I'd like to be able to take it down and put it back up when needed.

Thank You!

Mark Kowalski <ski@cbpu.com><div>00MsHa-39029384.jpg.7ab61cd01b61591ee5c61532cb9a842a.jpg</div>

I think I can see what seems like PS-induced-aura in the shot you posted :)

I don't believe you can find any good light for the price you mentioned. Those 'back-of-magazine' super cheap deals are not worth it IMO.

What is YOUR actual budget? If you give me/us one I am sure I/we can come up with a 'best-for-your-budget' solution.

In the mean time I will offer this cheap but, good advice:

1) if your budget is limited get ONE ***good*** monoblock

2) save some for a Photek Softglighter II umbrella box (they come in three sizes - the mid size would be perfect for you: super fast to setup and breakdown, enough for three people, waist-up coverage, super flexible in term of light diffusion options and CHEAP but, good - I have three myself for location and studio and they have been working great for about 4 years now)

3) Get a reflector (I like the round 5 in 1 types - very affordable

4) you will need two stands - one for light and box and one for the reflector - the latter should have a boom too

That's it, end of cheap and good advice. I do I know it's good? It's been tested and re-tested and put to actual use by me and many others with great success. So, I am not making it up, I am speaking from actually using the system described.

As for the monoblock, there are many out there and I don't know if require battery power for location shoots or not. But, you could also use a Nikon flash for your camera with excellent results (if you know what you are doing, of course).

I'm lost... what is a monoblock. Is this a generic term. I actually looked up monoblock and found nothing other than some car stereo amps. SORRY! When it comes to the lighting I guess I know "strobe" and "umbrella", and "barndoors." I'M A FRIGGIN' IDIOT... AHHHH!

I really appreciate the help so far Giampi ! !

Mark,

A little reading on your part should clear things up. Here's a link to some reference material available in this "Lighting Forum"

You can learn about monolights, pack and head systems, strobes, hot lights, softboxes, umbrellas, flags, scrims, silks and how to use all of it.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BjHh

You'll hear a million pros and cons, but you should certainly consider alien bees. Some people think they are too 'beginnerish' and some people think they are the best thing ever, but in reality they will accomplish for you almost everything that you need for the time being, and perhaps for the rest of your career.

If you go with AB400s, light stands and umbrellas, you might be able to go with a 3 light setup for about your budget. Look at their 13' light stands and photoflex convertable umbrellas.

You can add to that setup as you grow and it will serve you well. They are also a super company to deal with in the customer service dept, which is a bonus.

Nothing to add to the gear recommendations you've been given. But...

Have your clients been clamoring for the "indoor portrait option"? If you've had "nothing but

happy clients" maybe you shouldn't fix what ain't broke...? Just about all the senior work I've

seen of late is outdoor location stuff. Wonder if a couple of SB-800's used off camera to fill

shadows or add a bit of extra kick might not serve you better.

Just playing devil's advocate. I fully understand the desire to broaden your offerings.

Hey great! Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading! Really the only reason I would like to start doing portraits inside is because I wouldn't have to rely on the weather as much, and by saying that I mean, this year I have been fighting FULL sun all the time. I couldn't buy an overcast day and working in shaded areas really seems to cut down on options and locations. Also... winter time is coming and I'd like to do some kind of portraits without freezing. Michigan weather!

I use two Nikon SB-800s off camera pointed straight up with diffuser domes. First pic used the built in flash on my D-70 in commander mode, full TTL as I recall. The second added an SU-800, I don't remember the settings.

<br><br>

<a href="http://petsandportraits.biz/061014-153-web.jpg">http://petsandportraits.biz/061014-153-web.jpg</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://petsandportraits.biz/070731-18-web.jpg">http://petsandportraits.biz/070731-18-web.jpg</a>