Concerned that I got a used 40D. Could someone help me make sure.

sanjay_chugh1

I purchased my 40D on Monday.

When I opened it I noticed there was no cover on the LCD which raised a question

but I just thought it was one of those things and ignored it.

I've only taken about 100 or so test shots so far.

I am very sure that I had formatted the compact flash card before I put it in

the camera.

Last night when I uploaded the few pictures I had taken I noticed the numbering

starting from 1195. That was a big "What? That can't be right!" moments.

Should not the numbering have started at 0 or 1 instead of 1195.

Even if I hadn't formatted my card with pictures from my now sold 20D, wouldn't

the 40D still start numbering at 0. I mean it has it's own counter right. Would

it matter what I had on the compact flash with pictures from another camera?

Please let me know if anyone knows so I can decide if I should go and exchange

the camera or not.

Thanks

-- Sanjay

Sounds like to me you may have a case. I can not confirm your numbering question but I would have the same reaction as you after have had 3 EOS DSLRs. Can not remember about the cover on the LCD either but like you I think there should have been one. Was any of the other packageing "not right"?

Jason

It appears I should have read the manual more closer.

It says:

"If the CF card contains images recorded previously, the file numbering of the new images might continue from the file numbering of the existing images in the card. If you want to use continuous file numbering you should use a newly-formatted card each time."

I am sure that the card I put in was formatted and so according to the manual should start at 0001.

-- Sanjay

There was no cover on my 40D's LCD either. I used a new CF card just to make sure the file numbering would start at 1, and it did.

I was missing one booklet and it looked like the battery had been inserted into the camera and then re-taped in its plastic bag. I should have questioned the mail order store (which has good ratings) but I didn't.

Sometimes these things are shop 'worn', but one thing is sure, it can't have been used much. What I would worry about is whether it was returned for something wrong. Than again, some people are paranoid enough to see problems where none exist. So maybe it's just fine.

I think many problems with some lenses are often 'user' rather than material in cause--I know I was spooked about buying a lens said to have focus problems, and sure enough when I tested it, it did. Then I realized that I just wasn't used to such a wide field, and the camera had merely chosen a closer focus point than my eye had. Of course, until I paid attention to what focus markers were lit, I had problems.

>Even if I hadn't formatted my card with pictures from my now sold >20D, wouldn't the 40D still start numbering at 0. I mean it has it's >own counter right. Would it matter what I had on the compact flash >with pictures from another camera?

If your numbering mode is set to continuous, it will pick the next number after the ones on the card at the time you insert he card.

So if you formated the card on the camera you should expect it will not start at 1.

That happened to me on my new 400D. I liked it, since I don't need to worry about duplicate names...

Eric

Zibadun, it did ask me to set the time and date, so I guess that is probably a good indicator that it is new.

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's probably not used then.

There was nothing else wrong with the packaging.

So it just must be something on the card and how the numbering works that I am forgetting I guess.

And the dealer is a very reputable dealer in town where I have bought a lot of gear. I am sure they wouldn't do anything bad.

It just worried me for a bit seeing those high numbers.

-- Sanjay

There was no LCD cover on mine, either.

Re: file numbering: Did you try the camera in the store ? You might have used a memory card provided by the store for the test ? If you did not format the card before the test, then it is probably the cause of that high file number.

Anyway, any authorized Canon repair shop can check the shutter count of your camera by a dedicated software. (and only they can do that)

Here in Budapest, they do it right away, on the spot, for free. It takes 2 minutes. I have used this service a couple of times when buying/selling used cameras and I also happened to do it with my new 40d as I was stupid enough to use the store's CF card which already had images on it.

Not surprisingly, with my CF card at home it started at file number above 8000. I did not worry as I had been aware of the probable reason but to be sure, I had my cam. checked by the Canon repair shop and they reported a shutter count of less than 300 which was all me playing with my camera during the first day.

Hope this hels a bit...

Istvan

"When I opened it I noticed there was no cover on the LCD which raised a question but I just

thought it was one of those things and ignored it.

My new 10D, 20D, 40D and 5D lacked LCD covers. Also, even if you reformated the CF card

in the 20D before using in the 40D it will still retain the old number count. I have to format

in my computer first to wipe all traces of prior directory, then format in camera.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Do not panic!

Did you owned a Canon EOS before that one?

If yes, Did you format your card before insering it in your 40D.

If yes, than your Canon softwares (who are default set to avoid duplication) just followed the old numbers of your 20D.

I had this funky "incident" with my brand new 30D showing 1591 instead of 0 (I owned a 400D before). But, if you look at last picture you took with your 20D or whatsoever, you will find that your 40D is just continuing your 20D order...

Hope I'm right, otherwise, panic!

David

Hey there. I agree with post # 3 ( Simon)

I have purchased many cameras in the past for myself and others, some DSLR and some not and you can almost always tell when it has been used or not. My guess is that it was probably a demo version and chances are that it will work just as well as a brand new unsealed camera body anyhow but if you are like me in the fact that if I pay quite a bit of money for an item that is supposed to be NEW then I'd expect it to be unused PERIOD.

I actually just received an XTi 2 weeks ago and not only was it opened with no LCD cover but the manuals were opened, the battery was clearly used and this was the same case with the flash I had also purchased. I took this back and now have to wait and purchase elsewhere due to this company trying to get rid of their demo or returned items.

If it were me I'd take it back for an unsealed camera but if you do not want to go through this then I am sure you still have a warranty with the 40D and it should work just fine. It's all about peace of mind and I believe you have been delivered a used item for sure. Good luck.

Jason

An easier (though not conclusive) way of telling if it has been used in the shop for a test run, is noting if the camera battery has been removed from the sealed plastic bag.

Finger prints and or a nose print on the screen is a potential give away too.

As mentioned, not conclusive, as some shops use another, spare, battery, but some do not.

In any event: 99,000 is still a lot left.

WW

Also remember that when formatting a card, you do not remove images from it only its directories so the next image will have the next number, you simply rewrite over & over previous images. So new body +new card only=001. You could buy a new CF and reset to `0`:-)

enjoy the 40d

May be you send the camera to FBI lab to check for finger prints. also, you can file a

complaint with the state attorney general against canon for not supplying LCD cover. Infact

Canon has not supplied the covers to anybody and may be a class action suit is warranted

against Canon. Seriously however you should spend more time using your brand new

camera and enjoy excelent pictures it can take.