Lowepro Slingshot 200

annbryan

Hey, I'm looking for a new camera bag...it'd mostly be used while hiking and

traveling. I want enough room for my D80, 3 lenses, and a flash. Just

wondering what everybody else uses and if you have any recommendations. I was

looking at the crumpler bags but I don't think they'd be that great for hiking.

Thanks for any help!

-bryan

I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200 and found it just the ticket when I was hiking in the Rocky Mountains June 2006. I was able to pack four lens, in addition to the lens on the camera; plus some other stuff. The camera gets stowed in the bag and the bag gets hung around your body in a way that makes it a breeze, when you want the camera, to "slingshot" the bag around from your back to your chest, unzip the bag and pull out the camera. Special latches allow you to get the camera out without spilling all the other lenses out accidentally. The bag comes with a built-in weather cover, which I used more than once: we got rained on and also snowed on, hard (in June) while hiking, and I didn't worry. Just pulled out the plastic cover and it protected the bag and its contents very well.

I haven't tested lots of other bags, so I'm not saying the Slighshot is better than anything else. However, I did buy this bag on the basis of other reviews that said exactly that.

I also have the Slingshot 200. It is as described in the previous post. It is versatile enough but, with the bag fully laden I find zippering up the main opening a bit of an annoyance, since the bag distorts a little and the zip catches on the side. A little un-nerving...

I would follow on on the previous two answers, even though the 'zipper' problem has not been occuring very often to me, and add that 'slingshot' is an almost perfect little bag. I've been using it now for a year as my main camera bag, but there is a problem. Once you laden it full, all the weight goes to your neck and it tends to become quite an ordeal to carry it the whole day. What I do then is remove the camera from the back onto another shoulder to distribute the weight. This helps. On the other hand, I am not sure if there is another bag on the market which would do sling shoting better then this one. Try it, maybe a store lets you do it, walk around the block with it, or just pack light and you will enjoy all of its positive features.

<p>A body and three lenses may just work in the Slingshot 200 AW - depending upon which lenses you are using. (Hint: three large

telephotos will be to much for this bag. Three more "normal" size lenses can work fine.)

<p>My Slingshot 200 AW is my favorite bag for air travel, urban shooting, shooting while driving, and for day hiking when I don't carry

much else besides camera gear and a water bottle. (I have a larger bag for real hikes that require extra non-photo gear.)

<p>I've carried a crop sensor body with the 24-105mm f/4 L attached and the 70-200mm f/4, 17-40mm f/4, and 50mm f/1.4 in the bag

along with a few other small items such as extra batteries and cards, filters, etc. This is tight but workable. With a full frame body I'd have

to give up one of the lenses or perhaps put one in the unpadded upper section.

<p>The bag is well designed for carrying ease and for access. The single-strap method works well for the loads you'll carry in the 200

model, and you can slide it forward without removing it and get at the contents of the bag. The weather cover is useful.

<p>I've <a href="http://www.gdanmitchell.com/?s=slingshot&submit=Search">written about this bag a few times</a> at my web site.

<p>Dan