Bridal Portraits on Canvas

james_spurgeon

I'm looking for your opinion on the techniques that you've found that look the

best, and where you have this done. There are several websites that offer

this service, but I don't have any that are local. How different are photo-

realistic and light brush strokes? So, my questions to the forum are: 1)

Where do you normally send your bridal portraits to have them printed on canvas

(if you don't do it yourself)? 2) What effects produce the best reaction from

your customers?

Thanks for the help.

-- Amy

My problem with most of the canvas prints are that the media they are put on is too smooth. They lack the texture of canvas. About 15 years ago I had a ballet print made on real canvas and it very much looks like a painting. Unless you can see the thread structure you may not get the result that you like.

There are several methods of doing prints. One is direct printing on the canvas. Another is stripping the photo emulsion off of the paper and pressing it into canvas. Mine is the latter and I love it. But haven't seen the same result recently.

Larry

"its 2007 not 1985, do clients really want that?"

Apparently they do. My sister is goo goo gah gah over it. We just did one recently for a client. 20x24 wrap around for around $71. The image was wrapped around the side of the canvas. We use Millers. She sister was so excited about it, she called the client over who picked it up the same day it arrived so I didn't get to see it at all. It was the first canvas from Millers and I really wanted to see how it looked. Was very mad about that too. I was assured that it looked much like that of a photograph quality. Saturated in color and sharp. We have 2 done by a local print shop which cost a lot more and it looks faded and kinda crappy I think. Can't really compare it to Millers since I haven't seen it.

Check out <A HREF="CPQ.com">CPQ.com</A>. I've been using them for several years, and the quality is outstanding with reasonable prices. I always go with the brush texture and lustre spray. I do alot of canvas portraits... but the prices are definitely not '85! I don't use alot of "effects", as I try to stay away from images that look overly photoshop'ed. Best of luck.