Eye glasses and flash glare?

randy_kurtz

Hello all. I am having trouble with flash glare on eye glasses. This is my

setup. Canon 5D 24-70mm lens, 2 Hensel 500w mono lights. The lights are setup

15ft in frount of the shot and the lights are just 5ft apart and 5ft high. The

5D is set on 400ISO/f9/ shutter 1/125 what can I change to get rid for the

glare on the glasses. Thanks Randy...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/RLKURTZ/IMG_2991.jpg

Raise your lights higher or tell the people with glasses to tilt/face down a little.

I've never asked anyone to remove glasses, and have on a few occaisions told individuals

to put them back on "if that's how people normally see them". I've had to explain when

asked about the flash reflections, that "I can take care of that..."

This is always a problem, especially with on-camera flash. Having the subjects rotate their heads slightly left or right while still looking at the camera works best for me. Tilting the head down works too.

Yes, Lights higher and chin down helps. Another trick is to have them raise thier earpieces up, so the glass is tilted down a little bit. You get the glare when the flash hits the glass straight on. I sometimes tell people to take off thier glasses for one or two picutes, then I use that image to photoshop the eyes if needed. This glare you could probably clone out pretty easily.

That's a great example, Kari. Another thing you can do besides all the above suggestions is to turn the person's face away from the light that is causing the glare. Also, umbrellas make it more difficult to deal with glare because of the size of the reflection. If using a key/fill set-up, keep the fill light small--don't use an umbrella on it to cut down on the frontal, large reflection it would cause. Being the fill light, it won't make much difference re softness of light and shadows.

If the glasses are to remain on then you HAVE to get the light source out of the family of angles (by moving lights - changing head / glasses angles etc).

If you're keen, pickup a copy of Light, science & magic - it's the industry standard introductory text on protographic lighting - and covers reflection issues in great depth.

Randy, this is how I did it in CS2. I opened both files. I used the square marquet tool to select the eyes with no glasses, from the forehead to the bridge of the nose, to the sides of the face. Then I used the move tool to take her eyes off the image and lay them on the image with glasses. I lowered the opacity of the layer so I could see through the eyes with no glasses, to line them up exactly on top of the eyes with glasses. Then I put the opacity back to 100%. Then I masked the new eyes, and inverted the mask, so that the new eyes were not showing at all. Then I used my white brush to paint them on where the glass glare was.

It sounds complicated, but it probably only took about 2 minutes.

I'll re-emphasize the comment that umbrellas make the problem worse. if you use a panel

type diffuser that if flat you'll have less reflection . You may still need to raise the lights or

use the digital restoration after shooting with and without the glasses but in some situations

just using a flat diffuser will suffice.