I was wondering if I have this correct on the D200. You can have mirror up

mode or you can have self timer mode, but you can't do both. In other words,

you can set the controls to where you press the shutter release button which

both activates mirror up and the self timer after which a few seconds the

shutter fires and the mirror comes back down. I have read the manual several

times and this is what I concluded but maybe I missed something. I tried

searching this topic on phone.net but didn't find anything, perhaps I put in

the wrong search terms. Ken Rockwell's site seems to verify this concept, but

I wanted a second opinion if you don't mind.

thank you,

dan

Unless it's awkward for other reasons, sounds like you'd be well off with a remote release of some sort. That way you can get into MUP if you want, and still fire with out physically touching/vibrating the camera. There's the Nikon brand releases (ouch! spendy!), and there are several knock-offs available through the big retailers. I've become completely hooked on that cable release for a lot of shots - well worth it, and gets you around the annoying timing/delay problems you'd normally associate with the self-timer.

When you use M-UP mode you need a cable release otherwise it'll take 30 s to fire the shutter.

The way to do it if you don't have a cable release is to turn on the exposure delay mode in the custom settings and set the camera in the self timer mode with 2s delay. Then it'll flip the mirror up 0.4 s before exposure and you should get a vibration free image.

<You can have mirror up mode or you can have self timer mode, but you can't do both.> Unfortunately true. Nikon ought to provide both settings simultaneously. To add these as a Custom Setting would be trivial from a design perspective.

Ilkka's suggestion offers a very limiting 'work-around' (and effective in terms of vibration dampening) but a far cry from the optimal solution.

Daniel, you can use mirror delay mode with the self timer, and you will have a .4s delay. For general shooting, this should be more than enough (I seem to remember a test on here that showed that mirror delay was no different than mirror lock-up on a sturdy tripod). Otherwise, a cable release would be handy.

• 2 months later...