first post here looking for c and c on family shot!

an_casey

Well, the tilt is making me dizzy. And you've got some exposure issues. Parts of the background are blown out while you've lost detail in some of the shadows. The pose is sweet though you can't really see the kids' faces. The dog looking back is great!

The moment is nice, but the light is attrocious. In situations like this I try to blur the background as much as possible. Not only does it make it less busy, it softens the highlights so they are not blown out. Try it next time.

I believe that almost anything is fixable. The only question is whether it is worth the time. I think the quickest way to improve this shot is to apply vignetting to subdue background and the shadow/highlight tool to reduce the contrast.

• 1 month later...

An..I am a beginner so I won't even try to crit your work technically. As a consumer if this were my family I would LOVE the shot. You may be able to make it better, but I love the altered shot you first posted. I like the lighting...it may not be technically correct...but I think it is wonderful.

For what it is worth!

Jennifer