Need some help with this flash

debejyo

Hi,

I have acquired a Lenmar 50SBT-XD flash. I have no clue how to use it. I do not

even see any button to discharge the flash manually. All I could do is turn it

on. Can anyone help me with some manual or a guide of some kind about this flash?

Thanks a lot.

To fire the flash manually you can short across the terminals of the PC cord (presuming it has one) with a small screwdriver or similar.

I 'googled' Lenmar 50SBT-XD - and only had 3 results returned! and only one of those was relevant in any way, and, yes you guessed it, that one linked to this forum and your previous post!, so this certainly is not a major brand! (or have you misspelled the brand name?)

Perhaps if you post some pictures of the flash itself, we may be able to help more - or else take it along to a friendly local camera shop for advice?

Sorry I don't think I am able to be of much help here - after looking at your photos I can only make a few observations -

Firstly since you didn't show the back of the gun, I presume that the back is featureless?

The four position colour coded switch might be to control power output eg full,half,quarter,eighth - but why that should be detachable I really can't say, but it seems to have an extra foot - so possibly was meant to be used as a remote slave?

The single contact on the shoe indicates that it is just a manual x-sync (ie no camera dedication).

There is a socket on the side which would have taken some sort of cord - perhaps a sync cord, but equally it could have been for some other use.

Does the flash fire when mounted on a camera? if not you may be able to test the flash by running a short wire from the x terminal on the bottom of the shoe to the metal contact on the side of it (where the shoe is gripped by the on camera shoe) - but be careful to ensure you are insulated from shock! nb you can get a very nasty shock from a flashgun, I've seen someone thrown across a room by carelessly taking one apart!

If it does work, you will probably need a flash meter to judge exposure. As the flash is probably about 30 years old it may not be worth the bother.

Like Nick says, a photo of the back side of the flash could tell more.

It look like the flash with the dedicated (replaceable) module has a light sensor, and therefore is capable to measure own light reflected from the subject, and hopefully act upon the flash thyristor inside the flash to adjust light output and provide automatic exposure for the given aperture and ISO.

The 3 color coded dots could easily indicate different auto aperture ranges, while the white color dot could be a manual full power flash. Or possibly all 4 dots represent 4 different automatic aperture ranges. All of this is just my guess...

How do you set ISO or what aperture value the color dots correspond to ? - this must be defined somewhere on the back side of the flash?, via a slider?, or a knob?, or if there is a LCD display panel ?

You could possibly find the meaning of these dots, and corresponding aperture and ISO by experimentally determine how that works, or get original flash User's Guide if possible.

Guys, sorry for the back photo. I have uploaded it now.

Forgot to put that picture. Now you can take a look.

Thanks for all the input.

I got this flash from KEH this week. in a like new condition and it does not work. I have put in new set of batteries but even before it could charge fully it drained all the batteries. So I guess its gone. Can't believe KEH sold me this!!! Lets hope I can return it for a refund.