Want to buy a speedlight, but which one do I need?

sb-400 is most inexpensive, lightest and basic, but does have bounce flash capabilities.

sb-600 is a true midrange, suitable for everything but extensive professional use like weddings at a decent price point.

sb-800 is the pro model. more powerful, more functions, can work as remote commander. also significantly more expensive than sb-600, and bulkier to boot.

unless you know you'll need extra functionality of sb-800, sb-600 might be just the ticket.

"sb-800 is the pro model. more powerful, more functions, can work as remote commander." - actually SB-800 can work as a commander when in the compatible camera shoe. Also in SC-29 cord. SB-800 can work as a Remote flash in CLS or in SU-4 mode, but not as a remote commander. A commander cannot be remote.

The SB-600 is a GREAT intro speedlight. It permits full bounce use, off camera use with CLS, and is a really great flash all around. If you think you'll need the extra power, or the wireless control, or the su-4 (optical slave) mode, or the fast recycle time of the 5th battery, or you can easily afford it, get the SB-800 as it's definitely even better than a SB-600. For beginners and basic use, the SB-600 is really a great choice.

I treated myself to an SB400 as well as the bigger brother, and I'm glad I did. It slips into my pocket a treat and it's great for fill-in as well as indoor pics. For "events" you need plenty of light to bounce around(SB800). I used to have a hammer-head Metz, now that does pump out light but it was a bit of a handful.

Peter, you're right!

I am embarassed. I've been using that flash for quite a while now, and never realized it swiveled. I just went over to it to check it before I responded to your post, and it spins exactly like I thought it couldn't.

I ammend my original post to Eric! Don't waste your money on the SB-800 unless you need the advanced features.

hi Eric ...

i know there is quite a difference in price between the SB600 and 800, which might influence your decision. however, please note that in a number of different shooting situations, the SB600 will be underpowered. i have a number of friends who own the 600 and after borrowing one of my 800's, they wished they'd spent the extra money.

the SB800 is more powerful and versatile. it's better to start with the 800, then add a 600 as a second unit [later] for doing family portraits for your family and friends.

regards, michael

Well, if you want maximum versatility, I do not agree that the SB800 is a waste of money. I have two and decided on a second 800 because of the limitations of the 600. It's not a bad flash, just not as versatile as the 800. I will adventually have one or two more.