jeff_bingham

Hi All,

I don't own a blad, but am interested in buying one. I currently shoot a Pentax

67 and a Canon Digital system. I find I shoot the 67 system more. I have some

disposable cash on hand and ideas for a new project, and always wanted to use

Zeiss lenes

My question is:

I would like a classic Blad with some features such as interchangable focus

screens, possible digital back later etc. I would only be shooting 120 film.

Which body would you buy if you could only have one?

I'm open to options.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

All around I would suggest a 501CM to take advantage of the gliding mirror system (GMS); with prior models there is a partial viewfinder cutoff with focal lengths starting at about 150mm and up...it doesn't show up in the images, but you end up having to compensate for it as you compose. This model also allows you to change out focus screens on your own and there are already a number of digital backs out that support all 500 series bodies.

I agree with the 501cm suggestion unless you want TTL Flash capabilities and then I would go with the 503cx, 503cxi ( will take auto winder ), or the 503cw. Of those the 501cm and the 503cw are the most popular now. Unless you want to save some money and go with the old faithful 500cm kit.

Note which lens comes with any kit you buy and how old the back is. The newer model backs have factory darkslide holders ( not lindahls ), and the CF lenses are fantastic. The CB line was a "basic" lens package that Hasselblad pitched for a season and quickly moved away from. The CFi and CFE are the newer ones and most people that buy CFE lenses never need the contacts so a CF or CFi lens is the way to go unless you need those contacts on the back of the CFE lens.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick responses. I was looking at the 501cm, as i will be buying used. Thanks for the tips on lenes and backs as well. Seems Pentax has forgotten about us film users and decided to stop making the 67 system, what a shame. I look forward to trying the legendary glass from Zeiss.

Happy shooting,

Jeff

I bought a 501 CM about 7 years ago. The flimsy plastic rapid wind lever broke off within months. You can't replace the knob like you could on earlier models. I would prefer Hass to any other medium format camera, but that is a reminder of how poorly made the 501 CM is. They should be ashamed of themselves for replacing a good metal lever with a junky plastic one.

Ken Wayne, Oct 03, 2007; 10:08 p.m.

Just checked the price guide.

To whom it may concern, I will buy your 905swc for $2700. Just email me at kencamera@gmail.com.

I will also buy your arcbody for $1300. Again, just email me.

I'll bet you will!

Hi everyone, I am new here and joined because I wanted to talk Hassel talk...

BTW, For anyone interested in taking the plunge headfirst there is a kit on ebay now. By

looks of the pictures the lenses have been used quite a bit by a pro. What do you

experienced folks out there think iof this? (sorry no link here - go to ebay and search on

"Hasselblad 503CW Camera Outfit" - it is 10 grand.....) Hmmm....

Am contemplating a purchase of some type (of course the above system would be overkill

in my situation) of entry level Hassel system myself (in 35mm I use focal lengths 20-135

most). Obviously this would be overkill for anyone but if the stuff was in good condition

and (assuming) a reputable seller, might even be worth a loan, no? Advice?

Use KEH.com. They are very conservative on rating the equipment they sell. They have a 30 day return policy. They are highly rated [search for them on this website].

I brought a Hasselblad lens from them rated Ex and it was Mint. I returned a polarizing filter because I did not like the condition and got another one without a problem.

Steve