k10d + battery grip

grillot

What a great combination.. but of course I would say this. This is now my 5th

Pentax. I guess this qualifies me as a Pentaxian.. anyway. I could not figure

out why the lense would try to focus try to focus - searching and searching when

my index finger was nowhere near the shutter release on the top of the camera.

The camera just resting in my hand by the grip seemed to have a mind of its own.

Then I realized the grip's shutter release was sensing my palm - a little

quirky but managable, now that I know what was causing this seemingly odd

behavior from a fantastic camera.

Personally, I LIKE the extra weight that the grip adds to the camera. My second/backup body is a little *ist DS. I feel like that k10d's greater heft makes it more stable even before you factor in shake reduction.

But you're right, you have to learn to keep your hand off the controls on the grip. I leave the grip on the camera all the time now. I don't use a battery inside the camera, so I don't have to take the grip off at all. Perhaps it's for this reason that I'm just used to those buttons on the grip and my hand stays away from them now without my having to think about it much.

I turn the grip off till i need it. I like the added weight with heavier lenses. I like knowing there are two batteries in there in case I'm lazy and havent charged them in a while (2 batteries, 1500 shots, have only taken 5000 in 6 months, alternating with my ist D, so those batteries last a while).

What I've contacted Pentax about and hope they will add is a way to AF using the grip. I map the AF to the AF button, this is more effecient and more accurate. Problem is it's hard to reach from the grip.

Alternately I'd be willing for them to just allow the grip to focus via shutter release. while body focuses via AF button, not ideal but better than the current setup.

Overall grip is nice, could easily go without it, for instance this summer I haven't used the grip on my D at all. With the D it really does make the camera handle better (almost perfect) but the tiny size without the grip is much appreciated when space counts. The K10D handles pretty nicely without the grip.

Some advantages of teh grip to me are essentially an extra tripod mount. I use a tripod a lot and wearing out the mount is always a fear of mine. I have a QR plate but I also use the ultra pod a lot. And being able to rest the camera on things including concrete without abusing the body is also a good thing. my grips look much more beat up then my cameras.

So Pentax, put that firmware update into the next release for AF mapping on the grip!!!!

• 1 month later...