1Ds Mk III - The first problem

yakim_peled1

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=701396

Why do I say first? Because RG's announcement about the second fix for the 1D

Mk III suggests the likely possibility that the 1Ds Mk III will also need it

(they share a common AF system).

Don't know what about you but I think that it's time for some management

replacement at Canon's camera and QC divisions.

Please don't shoot me. It's just MY opinion.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I agree. I had a 1Ds Mk III on order for Dec/Jan and passed on it after watching the 1D Mk

III debacle. I will pick one up in a few months, but only after Canon has allowed the first

adopters to be beta testers for them - as in the 1D Mk III case - and all the fixes are done.

This sounds as if it could be later rather than sooner with talk of fix #3 for the 1D Mk III.

The problem with rushing out products to keep competitive in the technology race, is that

much more harm is done by bringing a flawed product to the market. Once Canon's name

becomes synonymous with dubious QC and recalls, they can kiss goodbye their majority

professional market share.

Yes, in the rush to market with the 1D3, Canon has done some harm to its reputation. I waited until the end of '07 to buy the 1D3's - I'm happy with the blue dot versions and haven't experienced any issues (yet). But in a typical Canon release of a series 1 body I wouldn't be looking for any issues either.

I don't know how Canon values the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that a consumer has about its products, but I seem to have lost a bit of mine during this past year. I think it takes a lot more effort to get that feeling back from consumers than it would have been to insure it didn't happen in the first place.

I guess when you operate on the bleeding edge of technology, you get problems. Thankfully the Rebel and 20D/30D/40D/5D cameras seem to have been pretty much trouble free apart from the expected firmware updates.

If all that's wrong with the 1Ds MkIII is a slighly offset between the screen and sensor orientation, Canon have done pretty well. It's not excusable of course, but at least it's just a 19th century mechanical engineering problem!

>> I guess when you operate on the bleeding edge of technology, you get problems.

While I agree completely, I also think that all such problems should be traced by the QC department BEFORE the camera/lens/flash/whatever is released. This is especially true when the problems are found in a top model.

As a QC person I know that achieving 0% problems is next to impossible. At least not when one weighs the cost of time/manpower/machinery involved. However, not finding such a big problem before the camera was released is inexcusable. Even worse ? at least IMHO ? is Canon's conducting after the release but that, of course, has nothing to do with QC.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I'm not sure about my 5D, but I can tell you absolutely for sure that the film frame box on my Rebel 2000 was quite obviously misaligned, and on my EOS 3 it also wasn't 100% straight. This was obvious from looking at strips of film on which the ends of the long edges didn't quite align. My guess would be that the problem isn't really new, although it may have gotten worse.

I think that Canon may have bitten off more than they can chew with their fast track development system that bypasses a lot of testing that used to be done with prototypes. We have seen a succession of problems with lenses and cameras of varying severity since this system was implemented. It may be a case of being time to go back to the drawing board... literally.

Chuck Westfall, who works for Canon USA, averred on the Digital Journalist that the focusing systems of the 1D III and the 1Ds III were different, and that the 1Ds would therefore not suffer the same problem as the 1D. This was, I think, in the January issue of the Digital Journalist, but I cannot tonight call up the column from the web site. I wouldn't call for personnel changes until I were a paid-up victim of a problem. Not odd for British journalism to be unaware of, or unwilling to quote, a claim like Westfall's which would deflate such a good story.

I have been wanting to purchase 1Ds Mk III but have been waiting until Canon resolved all their issues. It is inexcusable to have defects at this magnitude in a product that cost $8000.00 (American dollar)

With the economy that is struggling, it is hard to convince people like to me to dig deep in their pockets when you suspect that they you would have to send the product in for repair shortly after. The pressure of the economy and poor product might make them drop the price within 6 months.

" Not odd for British journalism to be unaware of, or unwilling to quote, a claim like Westfall's

which would deflate such a good story."

The article in question does not mention any AF issues with the 1Ds Mk III, nor does it claim

that it has the same sensor as the 1D Mk III - it merely mentions the alignment issue of the

the 1Ds and the AF issues of the 1D as problems that Canon has had with its latest releases.

Not wanting to deflate a good post...

The diminishing QC (if any) is only due to consumer demanding NEW modesl at an ever increasing pace. Just here, on Photo.Net, I see countless posts from people complaining about new models not coming out fast enough. Comments such as "Canon hasn't upgraded x, y, z..." or "I am tired of waiting for the 5D replacement so I bought X instead..." . Etc...

So, people complain about new models not coming out fast enough and then, they complain about QC not being what it used to be. It's a no win situation, both for consumers and manufacturers.