Buying dig camera in Tokyo

ok so I`m camera illiterate, need to get a camera before I arrive in Bangkok.

here in Canada, all`s overpriced and taxes are huge. Canon Powershot SD1000

(7.1 pix, all silver) costs 208 in US and 279 +tax here, though our dollar is

at par.

Since I pass by Tokyo I ought to by it there. Exactly how many yen does this

birdie costs there? Can someone check and tell me? Arigato

OK! I found Canon IXY Digital 10. I look in Dpreview and then in the Japanese web site. The

price in Japan is 27,500 Yen (237.75 USD at today's rate. Tax included which means

depending where you buy it if they have duty free you get 5% back). If you expend an

afternoon in Tokyo looking for it you may get a better price, maybe 5 to 10% less but you

will have to walk from store to store and it is just a waste of time.

Good luck, Rene'

Canadians have to pay for all the "free" services they get from their government. Afterall, no government has any money, not a penny.

Unfortunately we are heading that way here too. Then when it comes time to collect, there is no money. Look at our social security and medicare and your health care and why Canadians come here for treatment.

Not photo related, sorry.

How long are you in Tokyo for? To get the best price in Japan you ned to spend time to look and negotiate in Japanese. The price at the airport transit lounge is over priced to rip off transit passengers.

I found most stores in Tokyo are 5% or more than US B&H prices. But if you are willing to look in smaller town there are bargains to be found due to lower overhead.

Danny from Akihabara.

Thanks To answer about camera`s type, I don`t know,I just walked into an e-store and asked for a good, rather automatic high definition and compact. Was told that Canon`s Powershot Elph SD or ST1000 (all colour silver)was it and in fact I googled it and online it costs about 208 or 213US. My Cdn $ is higher than US $ hoopie I don`t know how to order online either and won`t have time either.

I`m so afraid of being (visually and density) overwhelmed in Toyko, I won`t shop around much. I just need a camera to rush out to Nikko and the Ueno Park. lol lol

If you wish to provide me with alternative model, please do I was told pixels 7 was all i needed.

Are the prices shown in Roman numbers?

I`ll get a crash course on that camera here from a salesperson in Montreal, to know how to use it.

To reply to the polemical tax thing, I don`t mind having 43% of my income swallowed up by the Gov. And then pay 22% sales tax. What has happened is that the Cdn $ went from 60 cents to being worth more than US, so we are now still buying stuff overprices by 30 and more. You buy a book which says 45 Cdn $ and 20 US$. So our cross the border shopping has restarted. I won`t comment on how wise or unwise my Gov spends my tax money. Interpret my smile....

I`m dying to see Tokyo! Never been to Asia, though I am well travelled. And (laughing) I generally never take picture of my travels. But for all the yrs I saw Japanese taking tons of pictures around me, I want to take pictures around them! I imagine the mega camera stores they must have. Once again arigato to all of you

My advice is to not buy the camera in Tokyo since you will have serious warrantee problems if the camera breaks down. Your Canadian Canon service centre will not support camera's that have been purchased outside of the America's, meaning you would have to send it back to Tokyo etc.

Suggested solution: buy it from a local E-shop. That way you'll have a good deal AND warrantee.

Best of luck, regards, Joris