Lens Budget Question

james_martin9

So this is an extension of my previous question. I have enough money to

purchase 1 of 3 options. I can purchase a 17-55 2.8 to add to my Sigma 10-20

and 70-200 VR. I can purchase a 28-70 2.8 to add to the same collection,

provided I can find one before the 24-70 comes out, or I can buy an 18-200VR,

50 1.4 and 85 1.8. 3 lenses instead of 1 2 of which are prime seems to be a

good choice, but then again they are single focal length primes not good for

waling around. Just some more thoughts if you please.

James, my first thought would be the 17-55. Obviously better optics. Yeah, there's a hole in the 56-69mm range but I learned from experience I use that range very little anyway.

OTOH, if versatility is more important to you, the 18-200 is great. I use mine extensively for travel but have other lenses for specific situations, i.e., landscape, wildlife, macro, etc.

I think it comes down to the type of photography that is important to you. If superior quality is most important to you, the 17-55 wins hands down. If convenience with some choices is more important, go with the other lenses. Both are good options.

Per "waling around" a zoom would probably serve you better at this point and another vote for the 17-55mm. However, I will Amen Bruce's statement in that I too have other lenses (4 fixed focal) for specific applications. Primes are fine for waling--if I have time and room to move. It all depends upon your shooting style.

Personal application: I will be waling this Friday on a paid shoot with 2 D200's one with 17-55mm and the other with 80-200mm (my pref). I will have backup lenses in bag, but doubt I will take the other lenses off. And yes, it boils down to a choice of quality vs. convenience. Longwinded way to say I agree with Bruce which is all I could have said.

James, not to nitpick or insult your intelligence, but the 85mm/1.8 is an entirely different animal and a great lens. There are apps that this is the only lens of choice to use for the job or for fun. I use the lens often (portrait, product shots, commercial prints, etc.) in that the optical build is entirely different than your wonderful 70-200mm or any other zoom. That's why many of us keep it and other primes in our bag. You may want to pick up a 50mm/1.8 and experiment. But, I'd still get the 17-55mm if that is your shooting style.

Some of us ole guys grew up with primes and learned how to shoot with them. . .we actually moved our feet to accomodate framing. As a matter of fact, I am working with two apprentices right now and I won't let them use any zooms yet till they bring me great results with primes. Both have a place in my bags and shelves--the lenses, not the Young Skywalkers. Just friendly thoughts.

James: No problem and no mal intent meant. I love both and both have their place in my shooting life. I wish you well. They don't overlap at all. As a matter of fact at times I will shoot with with an 85mm on one cam and the 2.8 zoom overlapping on the other. I sincerely wish you the best. Lenses are fun. Have fun.

If you have that amount of money to spent, I think it's better to just be patient for a little more and wait to see how the newest Nikon high-end lenses perform. Then you make your decision that time. You already have 2 nice lenses anyway, so it's not like you don't have any decent lens to shoot while waiting for the new one.