D80 Problem with a AF 50 mm 1.8 N

andrei_dimofte

Dear photo enthusiasts,

When I first tried my new Nikon D80 with my older AF 50mm 1.8 N from my F601 I

experienced overexposure problems. I first couldn't understand what the problem

was, but I soon realized that the aperture coupling lever from my old lens had a

pretty big latency moving from F1.8 toward F22. I think that caused my

overexposure since the D80 keeps the aperture wide open for better illuminating

the viewfinder and only closes it to the desired aperture when taking the picture.

I would like to ask if you ever experienced such a thing?

Could my lens get fixed? Is my lens defective or is it working normally

considering the fact that old film cameras didn't have to keep the lens wide

open all the time.

I would greatly appreciate your support.

Hi, Andrei,

According to your description of the situation, your lens is suffering from sticky lubricant that causes slower response of the automatic aperture mechanism. You'd better have your lens serviced. If the sticky aperture is the only problem, the lens can be all right again quite easily.

50/1.8 is optically superb and throwing it away is not a good idea.

It would not really be prudent to fix the lens, but agree with Peter, just get a new 50mm/1.8. Have one and works excellent on both my D80's and D200's. It is one of Nikon's best buys. Use is all the time for a variety of applications. Repair would most likely cost more than just replacing it. Experienced Nikon service user. Good luck.

OK, you say your 50/1.8N is from F601, which may suggest the lens would be worn out and better to be replaced.

However, the current AF50/1.8 "D" feels a lot cheaper than the "N". I would look for another "N" even if I would need to replace one. "D" function is only needed when you use flash and it is not really crucial to me personally.

Thank you for your answers. I will first try to see how much it costs to repair it here in Germany. If this proves to be unreasonable, I will probably be tempted to invest in a new AF-D since I read that Nikon fixed the sticky lubricant problem for lenses after 200?1?. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this diagnosis is correct, though, shouldn't you be getting a similar problem with the F601? Film SLRs also meter with the aperture fully open and close it down for the exposure using the aperture coupling lever. Though I suppose there could be some difference in the mechanicals of the cameras such that the F601 had enough more lag for other reasons that there was still time for the aperture to close.