1d mark 2 or 40d

dcreason

It's all a matter of personal preference. What features are important to you?

Personally, I would choose any 1-series body over any midline body IF I had to have ONLY ONE DSLR camera. They are a heck of a lot easier and sensical to control, have the features that REALLY matter to me (not FPS or a huge file size), and are obviously better-built cameras, even from across the room.

Notice I said "if". I like the lower-end models just fine, and have two that I use a lot. But I would dump both of them before my 1D (Mk. I) without a second thought if for some reason I decided to could no longer justify owning three cameras. My priorities are build quality, comfort of control, and responsiveness. Yours' may differ.

Keith

Keith Lubow wrote: "They are a heck of a lot easier and sensical to control, have the features that REALLY matter to me (not FPS or a huge file size), and are obviously better-built cameras, even from across the room. "

Control of the 1D2 usually requires pressing at least 1 button (and sometimes 2 buttons) at the same time as moving the quickdial - it was set that was with the intention of making things less prone to being changed accidentally, but in reality proved to be nothing more than a PITA - and has subsequently been dropped for the 1D3 (and 40D).

Bill Clark wrote:

"1D2 has features & benefits not offered on the 40D. "

When you compare them, not many actually.

40D has ...

1. More pixels

2. Bigger LCD Screen

3. 14 bit A->D Conversion

4. UltraSonic sensor cleaning

5. Can use EF-S lenses

6. Live View

7. Much cheaper

8. Digic III

9. USB II

10. Highlight Tone Priority

11. Silent Mode

1D2 Has

1. More AF points

2. Slightly faster FPS (8.3 -v- 6.5)

3. Weather sealing (Full -v- Partial)

4. Dual Card capability

Did I miss any important ones?

i am glad i asked, sometimes i believe "camera envy" creeps in and takes over the logical side. as stated earlier the 1d just looks different from across the room. I noticed a whole different world when i went from a xt to a 30d and now with a 40d coming out at less than a 30d price i know i will need to move the xt's before the price falls (it's like watching the stock market) the xt's will be for sale today. and if i have learned anything about technology i should buy the 40d, because manufacturers will make the 1d's obsolete asap (vista is the ultimate example of that) thanks for the info. if you all have more i'd love to hear it. d

I'd think it would matter most if you have EF-S lenses that you like. That's the main

reason why I still use a 30D for weddings even though I do have a 1D2 and 5D. Another

reason is for the similar interface...I'd rather shoot with a 30D and 40D over the 30D and

1D2. Unless there's rain in the weather forecast...

For sports or birding, I'd rather have the 1D2. I find that the pixel size of even the 30D to

be very demanding on lens sharpness...I imagine the 40D will be more so.

Despite being on fire, Colin did miss one possibly important point, which is that the 1DII offers high-precision AF down to f/4 and standard-precision AF down to f/8, both at the central focusing point only. If you are trying to get the most stretch out of long lenses by using Extenders, the f/8 capability is valuable, and if you have some of Canon's excellent f/4 L-series zooms, then HP focus at f/4 may be worth having. More generally, the AF system on the 1-series cameras still sets the standard, although to me the 40D seems like a real step forward compared to its predecessors.

>>> if you have some of Canon's excellent f/4 L-series zooms, then HP focus at f/4 may be worth having. <<< (RS)

>>> The 1D2 is a 1.3 crop sensor and the 40D is a 1.6. <<< (JR)

>>> I shoot everything sports, weddings, portraits, events... just looking for a few opinions before purchase. <<< (DC)

Dennis:

Just a few examples of useful opinions but un tailored to your question. I hinted in my post:

>>> As an `all rounder` for a camera body; without knowing the rest of your equipment kit; my simple value for money, non technical answer <<<

Just highlighting a frustration that I have on occasions: that of limited information given in the original question.

Cheers.

WW

Aside: >>> Despite being on fire . . . etc <<< (RS)

:)

more info and a question. my equipment is currently a 30d and two xt's the xt's will be replaced either sold or used by assistants. My lenses are a 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4 and an 85 1.8 (I zoom with my legs) my upper end will be a 70-200 L 2.8 is usm (does the price seem to be going up instead of down on these?)converters will be added to that too. i'm pretty sold on the 40d i believe that is where canon is going to invest the most new toys into. will, your name is followed by "retired" why?

>>> will, your name is followed by "retired" why? <<<

Ah. . . when I joined Photonet I had been a few years out of the professional photography business, and (I do not know why) at the time I thought it was useful, as part of my handle.

It is not.

And I cannot change it, and I have asked twice for a Moderator to change it, but that has not happened.

All the details / explanation are on my Bio page.

Thanks for following up on my question: In your shoes, I also would buy the 40D, (or a 5D if there is need for 135 format).

Cheers,

WW

Colin,

I do like the dual card of my Mark cameras. I have them set up to write each file to both

cards and I have a storage case that I place the SD card and the CF card fits on top of the

SD.

I can do a complete gig and most of a second on one battery. I do have backups but it is

another thing That I don't have to worry about at an important event.

The life of the Mark cameras should be quite a bit longer than others. The shuuter alone

has a pretty long life on the ID cameras.

Fortunately I haven't had any mis haps like someone stumbling over a tripod and oops. If

that should happen I believe the Mark cameras are pretty well built to withstand some

shock. However if that did happen at a gig I was doing I would immediately use another

camera just to be sure.

You are correct on the features of the 40D. It probably is a fine camera. I have a 20D I do

some PJ work with mainly because I keep it as a portable unit and the others I have set up

to work on a tripod. I'd like my 20D to last another year (it's 3 yrs old this December) then

I may buy a 40D to use the way way.

Best.