Selling your images online

john_.

I currently use zenfolio as my photo website, only problem is, they dont offer

a way for me to control pricing of my images, is there an online hosting thing,

other then smugmug that is relatively cheap for hosting my images and changing

the prices so that i can sell them directly off the net?

There's several you can try, some for a month with a free trial. Then they bug the heck out of you. We've been partial to printroom.com. Never had an issue and there prices remain consistantly fair, very easy to talk to a LIVE person and about $60. You have the option to say "Call the photographer," for prices, or let printroom do all of the work for you. Like camera gear, it is a personal choice. smugmug is also good ad we use them too, but for some reason, my photo partner uses printroom.com more.

Some places are expensive, as high as $150. Hardly worth it. So check out these 2 places and others and see what deal you can make. If you are high volume, it doesn't make a difference with printroom.com. No deals.

Personally I use EOS Templates. It cost me $100 (and that's one time) and I get complete control of everything. I use it with JAlbum, but there are a few different ways to use it. You do have to be comfortable with CSS, or at least be willing to learn. I wasn't, but found it very well documented. Then the whole thing gets hosted on your own webserver (same as your webpage) and you take care of your own printing.

smugmug is fine, I just have all of my stuff on zenfolio...i emailed their customer service to see when it would be made available they said about 4 to 6 weeks, so i will hold out until then, it saves me having to move everything... if not i will switch to smugmug... but on the suggestions i have read here, i am gonna check out printroom right now

• 3 months later...
I use the Premium Package at Zenfolio ($80 per year, but I think it's now $100/ year), allows you to adjust the prices & what types of prints you allow people to purchase. It also allows you to have multiple price lists. Use the code MKK-EJZ-GXP to get $5 off., but then again since you already have an account with them, then this may not help you out :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ric,

Sorry it took a bit to get back to you.<br><br>

My comments are not very organized, hope this helps<br><br>

Files? erm sort of, you can create a customized product then put it in a price list (fully customizable). I am not sure exactly how it would work though, I suppose when you received the order you would see which pictures they wanted, then you would either send them direct links or zip-file them and host them on some server elsewhere (probably the easiest for your client).

<br><br>

I'll have to try it. You can do a 14-day trial first if you wish just to make sure you can use it.

<br><br>

improvement? Since this is the only website I have used for this purpose, I am not sure I can say a whole lot. They take a 12% off the total of each order for processing fees & 6% if you do the fulfilling yourself then they send the money to you, monthly if it reaches over $50 (I think) Or you can request you be paid but costs $3. (I don't really like that)<br><br>

I like the reports it gives you concerning your sales.You can also create your own shipping methods. (charge for download ? lol)

<br><br>

Here is a excerpt from the site:<br>

"<b>Fulfilling Your Own Products</b>

<br><br>

If you decide to create and fulfill your own custom products, Zenfolio will take orders from your clients and forward them to you. You will need to collect payment, and fulfill orders directly. The responsibility is with you to communicate with your customers and to provide customer service.

<br>

If this is the route you wish to take, begin by filling out the Settings form with your details, defining Shipping Methods, and creating custom Products to offer. You will then need to add these products to a Price List"

<br><br>

Zenfolio offers plug-ins for Aperture, iPhoto, Adobe Lightroom, & WordPress.

<br><br>

They seem to be adding new things all the time for premium users.

<br><br>

I really like their watermark system (this way you don't have to worry about people using the "print screen" function on their keyboard, they also protect from "right-clickers."

<br><br>

If you have any other questions let me know (I should answer fairly quickly as I have the "notify me of responses now lol :D )

• 1 month later...

They just recently added the "review an order" option to the premium account. I think I am going to offer a CD or a zip file that the can download by selecting the pictures that they want, so when I review the order, I just make the necessary adjustments.

Again $5 off using the code MKK-EJZ-GXP

~Matt