camera by the normal tripod attachment knob. The tripod knob has a 3/8-inch

screwed-in threaded piece that has a 1/4-inch female end that allows the camera

to be mounted on a tripod with the case on. The male end that inserts into the

camera as the case is attached is the European 3/8-inch size, as is the

mounting hole in the camera. I have a 1/4-3/8 bushing that fits into the

camera and allows me to mount the camera on a normal (?) 1/4-inch tripod mount

without the case, but then I can't attach the case to the camera without

removing the bushing. Does anyone know where I can get a 1/4-1/4 male/female

bushing that will screw into the 3/8 hole in the case knob? Thanks.

Larry

The 3/8 screw stud on your camera case is a permanent part that cannot be removed. The bushing on the bottom reducing that socket from 3/8 to 1/4 is just on the bottom. The screw on the top is a machined part of that knob, which is in turn permanently built into the case. It doesn't come out with anything.

If you want to leave a 3/8 to 1/4 reducing bushing in the camera, the simplest solution is to get a different case with the 1/4 size screw/socket in the knob on the bottom.

You could also buy a replacement bottom plate for the camera with a 1/4 bushing, and then not need any of the reducing bushings.

Larry, you CAN remove the bushing with a little effort.

1...Lift the red-felt liner inside the case so that you can see the bushing...

2...Most bushings have a round E-Clip that holds the bushing in place...With a pocket-knife, gently slide the E-Clip out from around the bushing...If you do it right, the bushing will drop out...

3...Put the red-felt lining back and then place your Leica inside the case...

4...If you want, you can look around for a 1/4-1/4 bushing and screw it into the Leica screw...Of course it won't stay put if you unscrew it until you find a Leica bushing from an old case. {hard to do}

5...Some bushings do not work with an E-clip but are pounded into place and take more effort to dislodge...Those with the E-clip can be restored; those that are pounded in place are almost impossible to restore...

regards, bob cole

Thanks, gentlemen for the input and advice. I did poke around the bushing a bit, and it appears to be one solid piece or the press fit type - no E-clip to be seen. So I guess I will take Alex's adivce and not use the case at all. It just seems a good way to protect it while it's in the bag with other gear.

By the way, my black Leica III (s/n 114075 with a Summar f/2, s/n 193004) was my father's - he bought it used in New York right before he joined the Marines in WWII. It was our main family camera until he bought a Pentax Spotmatic in 1966.

I have repaired a number of Leica ER cases and removing the securing screw is quite frankly the most frustrating part of the process. I have never encountered the 'slip-off' washer. All I have ever seen are complete circles and pressure fitted to the screw. Some I have read about have been pried off, but I have had to split the washer and spring it off. Then it is possible to substitute a different screw and spring the split washer back into place. The problem is to obtain the new screw! It just happens that I have salvaged a handful and just might have the size you require. The problem is that right now due to some health related issues I don't have access to my 'stash' of spares. If you will contact me privately I will be glad to send you a proper screw if I have one -- no charge, just a self addressed, stamped foam lined envelope.<p> If I were looking for a camera I would hope to find one with the 3/8" socket and find a case with a 1/4" screw. That way any situation could be accommodated. Unfortunately Murphy's law often dictates something different. Anyhow let me know your needs and I will know in a week or so how the situation firms up.

Regards, Dan