Pentax FA* 28-90 f2.8 cont.

johankruger

For a nice FA* and some Bill Miller, I'd drive to SA in a heartbeat. I think it would have to be a

little cheaper and include a super po' boy with a tripple side of green beans to get me to bite

though. If FA*

is what you truly desire, get the lens and get it serviced. If you are just looking for a good

deal on a good lens, keep looking. I assume the aperture blades look wet, or has the oil

acumulated elsewhere?

Johan, I just had a 70-210 f completely cleaned that I got for very little used. The cost was $120 but now the lens is like new. The main reason for oil inside a lens is that the lens was overheated. So it was most likely left in a car that got hot for a day or more and the lubricant that is used in the focus/zoom mechanism got warm and ran inside the lens. It was probably used while it was still hot causing the oil to move around. Not a deal killer but that is the most likely cause. The lens will need a total CLA (Clean,Lub,Adjustment) but a PRO needs to do the repairs. Do you have a certified Pentax repair depot in your area? If so contact them and see if they have ever worked on these lenses. If not them you may want to have it sent away to Somewhere like Pentax UK/USA/Canada/Japan and have them fix it.

As for the hood they are no longer made and may be near impossible to have replaced. You can get several after market hoods that will do the job and at a reasonable price. All in all I still think it's a fair deal as long as you research the service options before you buy it. Once repaired at that price you should have gear that you could sell for more than the selling + repair price.

If it were me I'd get an estimate for the CLA in writing and take it to the seller. Then see how much he will drop the price to offset the repair costs. Clearly the idiot that owned this lens before had no respect for the equipment.