Wedding album design service, design cost, turnaround time and quality.

james_lee27

I am a newly trained photographer and I feel that design should get done by a

designer not a photographer. Not to mention my design skills are horrible. With

this in mind I need to ask all the gurus out there what is the reasonable going

rate for a design is, what is reasonable turnaround time is, and what kind of

quality I should expect from a designer.

Please help!!!

We design albums for photographers at $15/spread + $1/image. So for a 40 page (sides) album with 21 spreads (19 two-page spreads and 2 single-page spreads) and using 100 images (typical)...our design charge is $415. And we'll make changes to 20% of the spreads at no charge. Changes beyond that are subject to $15/spread.

We'll typically have a design ready to proof online in about 1 week from the time we get the images. And clients then have a choice - we can send them the designs and they have them printed and bound - or we'll handle the printing and binding using top album companies like Graphi, Leather Craftsmen, Asuka Book, Zookbinders, VisionArt. Then we deliver the complete album to the photogrpher ready to present to their client.

As important as money is, it's even more about finding somone whose designs match your style and whose work does justice to your images: someone you like working with.

Because album design is so personal, we will generally do a free design audition before we take a client on. They send 20-30 images and we design several spreads and post them online for them to evaluate. Free. No obligation. Just to see how we like working with one another.

IMO, getting together on style and working relationship is just as important (maybe more so..)as getting together on price.

advice, details:

While some may be willing to have another person design I am not at all sure that it is a reasonable way to have a good finished product.

Since you are getting started why not get started and take control of your final product as well as the images that go into it.

There are simple design systems to begin with, like using a major lab and working with the provided templates to start with and making modifications to incorporate your ideas.

Keep in mind that photographers created great film based albums using a set of mats for decades and the albums were fun and showcased a day very well. Too much design does not always increase the impact of the product.

Look around and see if you have the skill to put the images into a reasonable order and then using the templates to make a design that reflects your client and your perception of the day.

Nothing against the Storybookpages concept but it does make for an extreemly high priced end product which is probably not a good balance with a staring photographer's client.

Brooke

James

On turnaround time from MillersLab I uploaded a panoramic album, 12x12 on Monday am and had the finished product at my studio yesterday.

Amazing turn around. I estimate that it takes me less time to design and upload an album than it did to put prints and mats into an album. The digital time is the same for either a standard printed book or a digital one.

I do press books which are very economical but love the look of the assembled flush books with totally flat pano spreads. I can do a 40 side design in about 1-2 hours as long as the images are corrected before hand.

Brooke

• 3 years later...