Best dslr for adapting MF lenses?

www.wesleyalmond.com

I'm looking to buy a low end digital body to adapt my collection of nikkor lenses.

I'm not wanting to spend more than $400 on a used body and I want 8mp or above.

The price of nikon dslr seems unreasonable.

The olympus evolts and canon xt cameras seem to be my only options.

What I need to know is which of these cameras has the best viewfinder for manual

focusing. evolt 330 or the xt?

I love the build quality of the evolts but I'm afraid the viewfinder will be hell.

This is the one thing I can't view online.

And if there were older evolts in my local store then I wouldn't have to post this.

I know that there are focusing screen replacements but this modification will

drive up my cost another $100 bucks so I would rather avoid that.

So if anyone has actually compared the viewfinders in these two models please

send some opinions.

Thanks

In this case, I'd go with the XT.

The Olympus Evolt 4/3 system has the distinction that it has the shortest flange-to-focal plane distance of all DSLRs, so in theory just about any lens made for any 35mm SLR should be adaptable, including Canon FD and Konica F (see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html)

However the Canon Rebel XT is fine for almost all Nikon MF lenses (except for a couple of ultra fisheyes I think), and it gives you a physically bigger sensor.

An used EOS 20D. But truth be told, no crop-factor Canon camera has a suitable viewfinder for critical focusing, although you can manage. A 5D is much better in this regard, but far above of your budget. I worked a while with manual focus lenses (mostly Nikon) until I could afford EF lenses. Still have a number of vintage special lenses (f/1.2; 300mm etc) that I use from time to for fun.

The Canon viewfinder is not very good for manual focus, and you'll find you have to stop down to about f/4 to have a good success rate. However, it is a little better, I think, than the Olympus finder.

I've changed out the finder screen in my XTi for a split-image one, which is much better (though still not very good by 35mm standards). But I had to fuss with it, adding shims to get correct focus and experimenting to see that it's correct.... and you lose the AF lights, at least in my camera. I have more manual than AF lenses, and I know where the center AF spot is, so it was worth the trade.

There is also a magnifying viewfinder attachment - the Olympus ME-1 - which can be used on either the Olympus or the Canon cameras and helps a bit.

This helps alot, The AF confirm adapter looks like a great investment if I go with canon. I would like to hear more info on this adapter, any limitations with f/stops? Will it confirm focus with faster lenses like 1.4?

Another question..

Is the viewfinder for the XTI model the same as the XT?

If so I'll check out the xti and that will answer a few questions for me.