Running out of Sundays

starkitty

Just curious to see how many full - time wedding photographers take portraits

on Sundays. I do and it hinders my social and family time - I'm practically a

hermit! I want to be flexible, so I've decided to block out 2 Sundays a month

for portraits. At busy times of year this still isn't enough to accommodate

everyone. I will stick with this policy for now but I'd like to know what other

full timers do.

Yes I also had to say no more Sunday shooting. I will occasionally book a consult for Sunday morning (no later than noon). But I don't go out and shoot unless it is a wedding. I get Saturdays off every once in a while it they need a weekend or they have to take a little time off during the week. Also I never shoot on holidays or holiday weekends (except weddings of course). I need time off with my family, my kids are both in school and my husband is gone 12 hours every day during the week. If you tell people your policy they will work around it. I don't think I have lost any business because I don't shoot on Sunday or just tell them you are not available. Although it seems like you have come up with a good compromise

I have a partner and a few photogs on staff so we never turn anything down unless it is totally ridiculous like "I'm a movie star looking for someone to take free headshot of me. I can't afford to pay you, but maybe someday I'll refer you, if your work is good." Think I'm kidding? Read the craigslist in Los Angeles for a week!

The winter can get pretty boring so thats when we take our vacations. Not much action in January and February. In fact it is so slow we only had 1 wedding which was in February. We also try to hit up companies for photos and video for websites, but again that leaves most weekends free.

Do you not have weddings on Sundays? I shoot throughout the week but Sunday is still very popular as a day when more people can come (not the religeous significance obviously for Jews). I'm self employed so I spend a lot of time at home anyway, if I lose Sunday I usually have most of the rest of the week at home. I have no doubt that even with that I will see far more of my kids time wise than a usual commuting parent. This of course only applies to people doing it full time!