rehearsal & rehearsal dinner coverage

lisa h

Hi, I have been asked to photograph a rehearsal and a rehearsal dinner. The dinner will be more of an

open house, which I think will allow for better pictures versus a traditional sit down dinner. I don't think

that I have ever photographed an actual rehearsal before, and I am wondering if this is common and if you

typically get any memorable pictures from this.

Thanks, Lisa

I've done a few, they are a little different, but sometimes you get even more romantic shots if you happen to be in the right spot, at the right time. The rehearsal dinner, if they do speeches are prime for all types of head shots, full body if unobstructed by tables, medium shots.

Just realize you may have quite a bit of post-work on the images, so price it accordingly.

Occasionally I will attend the rehearsal to test lighting conditions, talk to the officiant to

make sure I'm respectful of their guidelines, look for interesting angles or possible places

to photograph from, and to get to know the main players before the wedding day. I

usually don't attend the rehearsal dinner, as that is precious time for me to back up all of

my gear, charge my batteries (both the electronic kind and the physical kind), and to relax

before a long day ahead. I can't say that I've ever gotten any really powerful images from a

rehearsal, but the clients have always appreciated having them. I typically don't edit or

process these images, I just give them to the client as-is. The clients think it's pretty neat

to see some unedited work, and it really helps them appreciate the extra time I put into

their wedding images, after realizing they don't just naturally pop out of the camera super

fabulous to begin with.

I ask to be invited to the rehearsal ... this is a time that many of the families and friends are meeting or seeing each other for the very first time or in a long time away from each other.

Great opportunity for capturing genuine emotion.

The other, more obvious, reason is to get a feel for the location and the ceremony timeline and process.

I don't always attend the rehearsal dinner merely because I want to download images from rehearsal, charge batteries and get some sleep. Sometimes I'll attend the dinner depending on multiple factors/time. I can feedback that the families are really impressed with a photographer that shows up for the rehearsal and then treats it as an important element to the wedding.

Some rehearsals are boring ... some are really fun!

You, as the photographic story teller, should base your attendance on whether or not the rehearsal is part of the story of the wedding at hand ... so, it goes back to your mission as a wedding photographer.

Thank you so much for your responses so far!

Everyone makes good points about being at the rehearsal to familiarize yourself with

everything in order to make the actual wedding day go smoother. Whenever possible, I like

to attend the rehearsals for those reasons. One thing that I did not mention yet though, is

that I would not be the photographer for the actual wedding day! They already have

someone else for that (and that photog will not be at the rehearsal). So that is making me

view this coverage differently than I normally would, since my sole purpose of being there in

this case would be to take pictures!

Lisa - I usually get lots of great pictures from a rehearsal dinner. the food, the guests laughing, etc, etc.

but regardless of the shots, I would say that being a rehearsal dinner gives you a chance to develop rapport with the bridal party and the VIP guests.

I was in Iowa and Indiana for two weddings this summer, and I flew in early to hang out with the bridal party the day before the wedding. It was enormously helpful to meet everyone without my photographer's hat on, and let people get a sense of who I am. the result is that people are even more comfortable with me during the day - results in better pictures!

any chance to build rapport is GOOD.

Dwesley - did you have a flash modifier or diffuser on those shots? they look harsh. ouch!

The dinner I can understand photographing (though I am not big on photographing people eating)... I guess what I am trying to get insight on is, why people would want photographs of the actual rehearsal (they will be getting awesome photographs the next day of the real thing, so why have the trail run photographed)? Is it common to have the rehearsal phoographed? Is it a good opportunity for special photos or not really?

William did bring up an example in answer to part of this, that it could be the first time some family members are seeing each other in a while.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, Lisa

That's the value of the rehearsal images For the Family...a photographer has to decide if this is important enough to include it as part of the story telling.

It's a matter of your personal style and what you offer the bride/groom/family; it's not a right or wrong thing but a way of approaching your wedding photography in a world where doing just a bit more might set you apart from others. (Yup, takes time and energy).