Old Manual Nikkor vs Autofocus Equivalent

michael_pye

I doubt your older 50mm 1.8 is any worse or any better than a modern 50mm f1.8 AF-D lens. The optical formula should be the same. As said above, the MF Nikkors are built better than the AF Nikkors for the most part. Unless you really abuse your equipment however, this shouldn't matter that much. I have a Nikon 50mm f1.8 Series E lens that I recently shot with all day on my D80 and I was amazed how well it performed. And it only cost me $10. A Nikon lens is a Nikon lens.

The optics of the AF 50/1.8 are slightly different from the older MF lens. In direct comparisons I found the older lens to be significantly better in optical quality. However, sample variation never can be ruled out and my suspicion is that the newer AF versions are not built to the same standards as the lenses of the '80s.

There are several examples of older Nikkors performing better than the AF equivalents. Besides the 50/1.8, this applies to 20/2.8, 28/2.8, and 105/2.8 Micro. Sometimes, however, the AF model is a significant improvement on the MF version, such as the 200/2.

I have both the AF and MF versions of the 50mm f1.8 and as far as IQ goes I see no differences.

On a D70 it makes little sense to use the MF version since the view finder is so poor and metering is also manual. (try taking pictures of a lively 3 year old with it)

I'm only hanging on to the MF version because Dr Rorslett gives it a 5+ on a D2X/200. I'm going to hold him to his review when I get the D3. (sample variations will not be excused) ;)

@Bjorn: As far as I'm aware, the current AF design uses the exact same optical formula as the Series E and late AI-S 50/1.8's. QC has headed downwards with each iteration of the AF design, with the current being the worst for sample variation. I suspect there's also looser tolerances in the focusing helical on AF lenses to prevent binding, at the cost of a little more wiggle to the helical.

Adam, I have two copies of the newer 50/1.8, and they perform identically.

Micheal, a lens can be sharper but that will do you no good if it isn't critically focused. Getting accurate focus will make a bigger difference unless you stop down the lens to create a focusing fudge factor.

Jack; I've found that the Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 is sharper than the 24mm AFD. Also for some curious reason the 24mm AIS is sharper than the AFD equivalent. Why, I don't know. I wasn't rubbishing every Nikkor lens!

I've tested the Sigma & 24mm AFD at all equvalent apetures and the Sigma is noticably sharper. I'm not biased either as the 24mm AIS is one of my favourite film lenses. because of this I decided to buy an AFD to use on the D200.

The Sigma is not better in regard to flare and is a pain in the neck for filters. It's also a big unit! I'm going to replace it with either the Nikon or Tokina 12-24mm, but I can't complain about the Sigma's sharpness. Also it has always had good reviews re; sharpness

I use the 50mm 1.8AFD and the 180 f2.8AF on my D200 and they are razor sharp. I've also used the 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2 & 200mm f4 (all AIS) lenses on the D200 and all are really sharp.

I hope this clarifies my last post

Thanks, Ross. It's been my experience that many of the Sigma wide primes made in the early '80s and '90s are sharp. However, later versions seemed more prone to flare, and none of the zooms from those years were comparable to Nikkor. Sounds as though they may have made some gains in this area.

The current AF 50/1.8 lens has optics which originated with the series-E 50/1.8. The same optics were then used on the compact AiS 50/1.8 and all following AF versions. Apart from improvements in coatings and sample variation, there is no difference in performance.

The Ai 50/1.8 and early AiS 50/1.8 with a larger barrel and recessed front element share a different optical design, which according to Bjorn, is superior to the later lens. However, all of the slower 50mm lenses, including the AI 50/2, are excellent performers.

I'm sure it would be possible to improve the design further - in wide open performance and background rendition. As you say, we now have 25 years of new technology to draw on, but I think that is unlikely in the short term. The newest 50mm lens for the Nikon mount is the Zeiss ZF 50/2 macro lens and it's possibly the best, but it is big, heavy and very expensive.

Roland, thank you for that very clear explanation of the various designs on the 50mm.

I guess I am wondering a bit though as to why the optical formula was changed and kept if the earlier AIS is "significantly better" than the current version(s).

In particular, I am very much/somewhat disappointed in the bokeh produced by the AF version.

>I am very much/somewhat disappointed in the bokeh produced by the AF version.

Was that a survey answer? :) All the Nikon 50mms I've shot have poor bokeh. The early single-coated glass might be better (I haven't tried it), but everything from the AI forward - including long-nose, compact, 0.6M and 0.45M minimum focus, and Series E - are harsh.

Anthony, my statement wasn't accurate. I was thinking about using these lenses wide open, but I neglected to say that. In fact, I think the 50mm lenses aren't so bad when they're stopped down a little. Of course, when you shoot that way, the background also isn't so unfocused.

I did look through those "tin can" files earlier today, but wasn't sure exactly how to correlate them with the discussion. I've used a few really crappy lenses in the past (when I first started shooting), and some produced images similar to these shots. In particular, I remember a f/4-5.6 midrange zoom branded Quantaray that produced very nice bokeh on the long end. The background had to be some distance behind the subject to achieve that, but then it would turn into a smooth, creamy, nondescript blur. Anyway, the background in the "tin can" images isn't really obliterated in the way I would like. That might be because the lens is f/2.8, or perhaps the distance from the can to the background isn't so great. In any event, I'm not able to make a reasonable assessment. I will say that the few rounded highlights in the image don't have a "donut" appearance. That's a good sign, as the donuts represent one of the major defects that appear when the 50mms are opened up.