Canon EOS 5D Pricing in Japan

tapio_nuotio

Hi,

My parents are taking a trip to Japan (Tokyo) later this year. How much would an EOS 5D cost there? I

found one store (Yodobashi), which sells it for 316 000 YEN, but no other stores. If you know more such

stores, please let me know.

What is the general rule over there; is there an added tax to the price on screen, or is that the final price

one needs to pay?

Thank you,

Tapio

Hi

I've come back now, but lived in Tokyo from 2000 to 2003. I guess that when I was there I found that prices were cheaper in the USA than in Japan, with BHPhoto being cheaper than Yodobashi.

But, if you're set on getting a camera from there, then just head over to Shinjuku, and there are heaps of camera shops in the area.

question ... is it worth having all the warranty headaches?

"I live in Europe"

You may get hit by VAT when your parents bring the camera into the EU. At least some of the higher price you pay in the EU is tax, and it may not be legally possible to avoid that.

Also, if you ask, some camera companies offer an international guarantee on cameras bought in Japan by tourists. But discounts often become unavailable if you need that.

When you bring back the equipment yourself and you have already used in while in the US,

it can no longer be considered "new" by customs.

Anyway, when I get back to Europe from the U.S. it is typically early morning and usually

there is no one from customs to be seen.

And regarding warranty, I have saved so much money by buying from B&H, I could easily

afford a ticket to NYC to get warranty "headaches" resolved.

Stephan

Hi Tapio,

currently living in Tokyo I can inform you that the prices for the 5D are rapidly declining. You can get an idea from the folowing page: http://kakaku.com/item/00500210882/

This means the cheapest shops offer the camera for roughly 1600 Euro.

Disadvantages are no international warranty for cameras from Canon (lenses are another issue and quite a bit cheaper here to), Japanese plug (adapters are dirt cheap) on the power supply and while the software is likely to be included in an English version only the Japanese manual is provided. On the other hand, you can get the software and the manual from your local Canon suppor for a few Euro.

If you need further information please let me know.