Slow lens-Shutter vs. Aperture priority

masoud a.

As Bjorn says (and we all defer to him, of course, because he knows more than we do) your settings are your control of the image. That means that you want to make your settings depending on what you're you're trying to achieve. Do you want everything in focus, or part of the image out of focus? Do you want blur to indicate movement?

In the shot attached, I could have boosted the ISO past 200 to get a faster shutter speed but, rightly or wrongly, I wanted movement blur on the hand gesture. This was taken after watching Mr. Bradbury speak for a while.<div>00Mawq-38569084.jpg.526deb29cf5a55ba8c306ae41bada6e5.jpg</div>

Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority exist so that you can lock-in a specific aperture or shutter speed and let the camera's automatic exposure sort out the counterpart. If it's important to maintain some shutter speed, you use Shutter Priority. If you have some aperture in mind, you use Aperture Priority.

I think your question is: what do people care about more, shutter speed or aperture? And, I don't the answers can be meaningful or helpful. Your preferences will vary with the shot. For what it's worth, I let my camera decide both shutter speed and aperture (full program mode), probably 95% of the time, and use full manual for the remainder.

Aperture priority, Shutter priority, and auto-ISO are all automatic settings where you take control of two variables and let the camera determine exposure by adjusting the third variable. I did not use auto-ISO with my D70 cameras because it was not really configurable and I could not see what is happening with it in my viewfinder; but with the D200 it is my preferred method.

The first consideration for me is where do I focus and how much DOF do I want to place in front and/or behind that focal point. My second consideration is what is the appropriate shutter speed given the focal length, subject motion, and the technique I'm applying to the shot (tripod, handheld, or panning). Finally, I must balance all of these against the ISO, which cannot be less than 100 (on my D200) and which I generally prefer to keep below 400 (subject matter, flash in conjunction with ambient light, and the nature of the light all play a role in whether I'm comfortable going past ISO 400 and as high as ISO 1250 or not; again this is because I choose to use a D200, other cameras would cause me to choose different ISO parameters).

It is possible (especially with a slow lens) that you set a shutter speed for which the lens simply cannot be opened wide enough to get an acceptable exposure, so the camera would have no choice but to underexpose.

With aperture priority, the camera could (at least in any reasonable situation) always set a long enough shutter speed to get the exposure for any given aperture. It might be really long, in which case your exposure will be blurry if you aren't using a tripod and/or your subject is moving... but you'll get an exposure.

...and of course it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'd join most here in noting that (even with the hypothesized slow lens) aperture matters photographically more often (or at least over a more complete range of possible settings) than does shutter speed. Shutter speed need only be fast enough to freeze (or sometimes slow enough not to speed) any motion you are concerned with. Aperture always matters. With our slow-lens hypothetical (and assuming a moderate focal length), let's just say that the difference between f5.6 and f8 is likely to matter much more than the difference between 1/125 and 1/250. Now... if we are talking the difference between 1/40 and 1/80?... maybe then the shutter matters more, at least for people or other subjects that are likely to move.