fine art kit questions, 55-110mm any good?

mark_vann

Hello all. I recently became very frustrated with DSLR for what I was wanting

to do. I plan on doing some long exposure work at the ocean and needed something

that could do several minute exposures with no noise. Astia film seemed to be a

good option so after research I decided to hold off on the jump to LF and get a

RB67 with a few backs. I have a few general questions about the system and i

would appreciate all of your feedback.

I purchased a cherry RB67 Pro-S with WLF, 90mmm lens and 220 back. One of the

things I have noticed is the red guides in the viewfinder only work on the

vertical position. Is this normal? Besides that everything else appears to be in

order.

Speaking of backs, when using the 6x8 motorized back do you get different guide

marks? If not is the extra frame not shown in the viewfinder?

Lastly, regarding lenses, that 75mm seems to be a hot lens judging by the price.

I am considering the 65mm which seems to be an affordable perennial favorite.

How about the 55-110mm ? How is the micro contrast and bokeh of this lens?

Mark,

The viewfinder guides are there to remind you to compose vertically.

As far as lenses, my experience is primarily with the C lenses, and the 50, 65 and 90 are all excellent lenses, as are the rest of the line, OOF areas are wonderful, you may never look at 35mm or Dslr's the same again after using the RB lenses for a while. The 75 is a K/L lens, from what I've been told, the shutters are not easily repaired, if possible at all. Basically a very expensive throw away. In contrast, the C series lenses are easily repaired, cost effectively, the only problem I've run into with some older lenses is the usual shutter issues, slow speeds run slow or stop altogether. IOW, nothing a good clean and lube won't fix.

erie

@mark vann: The vendor has the correct hood, filter size on that zoom is 67mm, hence the confusion. It's definitely a M645 lens(the focusing helical is a dead giveaway). And several hoods are cross-series compatible (I've got the rubber hood for the 77mm filter 45mm f2.8 C in 645 mount, which is also a RB lens hood, for the 65 IIRC).

-Adam

Mark,

The red guide marks are a reminder that you have the back in the vertical position. They are not visible in horizontal mode. I have a 6x8 back for my Pro-SD, and have had some vignetting issues with the revolving adapter, so make sure your body has the one marked "6x8" on it. See thread here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Lmxf

The extra image area is not visible in the 6x7 viewfinder, so you have to guess at it. Best of luck and happy shooting.

-cameron