brandy_singer1

I am just started out, and just wondering what is the best way to get out

there, I have always taken photos with my little digital 4mp camera and just

bought a Canon SRL EOS Rebel film camera to get started until I can afford to

buy a digital one.

Any help would be great help........

If there are any photographers in the Hampton Roads area that would not mind

me coming along to help them out with anything that would be great, I would

love to assist where needed, just to learn new techniques?

Truthfully, I would have gone with digital if you aren't an old time film person. My fear would be that you are going to photograph a whole wedding thinking you are doing a great job and get home, and find the pictures are a mess. At least with digital, you can look at the screen, and then do your adjustments for the next picture. I know there are still some film people here, but sorry, I wouldn't trust a new person who hasn't done a wedding to use film.

Film? What's that? If you must go film than at least write each of your settings down on a piece of paper. That way you can reference back on what you did right or wrong as opposed to trying to remember what that setting was.

Certainly you can mustard up some kind of cash even if to buy a somewhat used digital camera? Mistakes are cheap and fixable. With film, it can cost an arm and a couple fingers. In the end, you'll probably make up for it in cost of film, printing and time. The same money that you would've spent had you bought a digital. The time it takes you to learn is quicker as Colin stated. Besides, you're going to go digital anyway. Why learn how to use a film camera and then have to learn how to use a digital camera down the road?

Whilst there is extreme usefulness for quality photography courses to contain a portion of film and darkroom work: the feedback loop and learning curve of digital is undeniable.

I too suggest getting your hands on a reasonable DSLR, ASAP.

Apart from looking to assist someone with your Film Camera, joining a (practically based) camera club or society or enrolling in a practical photography course will allow some instant feedback during the doing of the assignments with others and a multifaceted critique of the results.

On the other hand, you could shoot some photo art and just go out selling it: it is difficult to know what skill level one is addressing with the limited information.

WW

Given a choice between 1 digital SLR and 2 film cameras, I'd take the 2 film cameras because one NEEDS a backup camera. I'd suggest a used Canon AE1 with 50mm lens for a second camera because it can take sharp pictures and the lens can let in enough light to be useful in a dark church. Heck, even a new but cheap Vivitar v3800n will take good pictures in low light if you get the 50mm prime lens. I'd also strongly suggest a sturdy tripod.

As for places to buy used equipment, I've been treated well by adorama.com and I've heard good things about KEH.com. For new equipment, I'd try Adorama along with BHphotovideo.com.

>>> Given a choice between 1 digital SLR and 2 film cameras, I'd take the 2 film cameras because one NEEDS a backup camera. <<< Bruce T

I agree with Bruce T, if we are addressing a `working professional` or such, on a really tight budget.

But if `starting out` means: `I need to learn a lot more and I want a toll to learn with`, then one only DSLR will be a better.

It is still unclear what required outcomes are at issue.

I reiterate:

The OP: `I am just started out, and just wondering what is the best way to get out there`

WW: `it is difficult to know what skill level one is addressing with the limited information.`

WW

• 2 weeks later...

Brandy,

I used and still do use Nikon SLR film cameras. In fact, they are the only cameras I have ever used for weddings, portraits, and general pictures.

I also use a Quatntum battery pack with an old Sunpak 522 flash, as well as a Vivitar 283; The Vivitar is powered by a Quantum Bantam battery.

I set both flashes on auto and set the aperture at 5.6 or f/8 for indoor pictures, and higher f stops outside. With people with dark skin tones, you may have to bracket your exposures.

In any case, when in doubt, bracket.

If you are going to continue do weddings, I strongly urge you to buy a flash system that has a rechargable battery pack

Richard B