Has the plastic mount survived the test of time?

Sanford

I always thought the main worry about plastic mount lenses was what would happen if you

'clunked' the lens when walking through a doorway, for example. The argument I'd heard was

that in that situation the lens might break at the mount.

Of course, if you've hit it so hard that the mount is going to break then you must have hit it

oretty hard indeed. If the mount doesn't break the force of the impact must be absorbed

elsewhere, and the 'plastic mount' lenses are not strong generally.

Don't know about the 18-135, but in my experience the plastic mounts are fragile. No problem with it in a 35-80, but I broke the 80-200 f4,5-5,6 one in a stupid fall while skiing. I was not damaged, neither was the F65 body, so the hit was not too heavy.

The camera was carried in a waist case and, althought it was not the best place to keep my equipment safe, this experience made me very hesitant about buying new lenses with plsstic mount such as the 55-200. What a pity, as light telezooms are the only real AF alternative to my trusted 135 3,5 for a small package.

Never mind, it seems the future will be FX and I can wait several years till Nikon will sell a 80-200 replacement.

IMO, the problem here is not whether the mount itself is plaseic per se. It is unlikely that a plastic mount will wear out under normal usage.

However, a plastic mount indicates the overall build quality of that lens. I have seen a lot of plastic-mount Nikon lenses and I don't feel that they are well built. If you only use them occasionally and carefully, there is probably no problem. I also wonder how well the lens elements are fastened onto the barrel inside those lenses. Just a bump can get the elements out of alignment; that may be why people tend to see a lot of so called "sample variations" among such lenses (and even on some more-expensive ones).

To further Shun and Bjorn's comments, I had a Sigma consumer zoom literally come apart in my hands, many years ago. To its credit, it had served me well for several years (though I was not as hardcore about things, then), but it was literally held together with this silver foil-like tape. And you cannot just put it back together.

FWIW I had a 50-135mm AIS Nikkor zoom come apart in my hands. This lens was built to Nikon's highest standards. I bought it used but in mint condition so I didn't know it's history. I suspect extreme vibration in it's former life caused internal parts to become loose. The good news was that there were still local repair shops that could fit it!

I too have had the Sigma APO 70-210 f/3.5-f/4.5 come apart in my hands while grasping it tightly during a trip over rough roads in the American SW. It cost $90 to get it repaired. George Lepp reported seeing the Sigma APO 400 f/5.6 come apart under similar circumstances. Both mounts are of plastic construction. Optically both lenses are excellent.

Use of plastic for both camera and lens sides of the mount has been around for quite a while. Many of the entry or lower end film slrs had plastic mounts as did the low end lenses (although not all). It's one of those price/performance decisions product teams need to make. So I'd suggest the idea has survived the test of time. It's one of the ways we get to choose whether we can take pictures or keep saving money until we have "the best."

• 2 years later...
<p>The plastic mount on the 18-135 seems to be fine, but mine got dropped, mounted on a D80, at a height of about 2 feet, in a padded case, probably landed on an odd angle, and the auto focus became rattly and difficult to focus (hunts, stiff on some points if manually focus). Can be used on manual focus, but mainly serve now as a paper weight.</p>