I'm a beginner..

My 2 cents, I would buy a camera body that is easy to use older but good lens. These older quality lens is a lot cheaper than new. If not you can see the bill for the camera system go up really fast. If I were in your shoes, I would conside a brand new Pentax 10D plus a 35mm FA f2 and start from there. The old used Canon 20D is a good choice also.

IMHO the Pentax is probably the best option as it offers the best value. The Nikon D40 is not a bad idea either. You can get professional cameras like Nikon's D1H and D1X used for good prices. Both the Nikon and Pentax systems have masses of cheap but good lenses available for them.

Canon, Sony, Olympus are all good, too. We all have our preferences so do some research and don't be afraid to ask us lots of questions. That's why we're here!

1) Canon or Nikon

2) Canon has better prices.

3) You got to know what you want.

4) EOS 20D + 18-55 + 50/1.8 + 2 Sandisk Ultra II 2GB will be a good start

5) Being a photographer seems great when you're not taking pictures for other people. After some time you're just fed up with all these people looking at the picture and being glad that they can recognize a face etc. Most of them don't care about the light, composition, DOF. When something is in focus then picture is great for most of people. There are so many photographers now that usually you got to do something else to make a living.

6) Enjoy taking pictures! ;) If you don't know what kind of pictures you want to take then equipment I wrote about above will be ok.