Hong Kong weekend

robert_john_asuncion

Hi.. It will be my first time next week to travel with my DSLR.. I would like to ask if anyone from you guys

can give the things that are usually found in our camera bags that are prohibited for hand carry bags.. Of

course I will be hand carrying my DSLR and camera bag but there might be items in my camera bag that

won't be allowed to be hand carried..

It would also be better if you can tell me some do's and don'ts in taking shots in hong kong, macau and

shenzen..

Thanks a lot..

I've been through a lot of airports and have never had anything confiscated. Come to think of it, I usually carry a little 3 oz bottle of lens cleaning fluid and no one has ever taken that even though I've never thought to put it in my "liquids" ziplock bag. If you really only have a weekend, I would focus on HK. If you go to macua, you will likely end up there in the middle of the day when the sun is working against you. If you do go, the cathedral ruins and central plaza are the only things I remember as being photogenic.

In HK, go down to the clock tower area on Kowloon side of harbor after dark. You'll see the possibilities when you get there. Up Victoria mountain if the day is reasonably clear. Have fun.

HK airport is really relaxed compared to many, especially on arrival, but liquids are a no-no in hand luggage.

Victoria Harbour is still amazing, despite the pollution and land reclamation, especially at night, so go across on a Star Ferry (very cheap trip) and walk along the Avenue of Stars. The real (not the tourist trap) markets in Mong Kok and Central are great for local colour.

In Shenzhen, watch your bag closely - lots of beggars and pick-pockets.

should be no problem, but yeah, if ever you go to Shenzhen , place your camera bag in front (not like a backpack) and never leave it unattended. have fun shooting, i live in Hongkong and there a lots of photo opts here : TST area near the sea,walkway to the Stars,Hk park,Ocean Park,Hk Disneyland, etc. Enjoy ! PC