Which is the smallest cutest compatible flash for M8?

Well, now that it appears to have been safe enough on a short term experiment (I would *never* have risked to do that, without asking anybody knowledgable *beforehand*...), why should it be riskier on the long run? A bomb usually explodes the first time it's triggered, not thru wear an tear, or does it?

The Olympus FL-20 looks suspiciously like the flash that came with the Hexar RF kit (HX-18?)... I bet it's the same flash, and you are fine, but I agree with a bit of caution.

Lutz: Selling the Hexars _and_ the G's? You're breaking my heart.... :) An M8 in your future?

I should more correclty say, "almost" same flash. As I am sure someone will point out, The FL-20 (of which I own) supports TTL on the Olympus digital cameras. The Hexar RF flash (which I don't own) is probably not TTL, because the Hexar RF does not support TTL. The shape, mount, control placement, and indicator lights are almost identical, though.

[...why should it be riskier on the long run? A bomb usually explodes the first time it's triggered, not thru wear an tear, or does it?]

I read somewhere that a flash may seem to work perfectly, but the slight over-voltage would pit the shutter contacts and in the long-run would damage your digital camera. Of course with very high voltage, the effect and damage would be immediate. I believe the trigger voltage is below the safe 6 volts for digital camera. But what about the currents in the supplementary pins (for TTL) which could be in cross-lines with Leica's own TTL system?

I cannot speak for the M8 but on my other Leicas I use the tiny teenie Nikon SB-9. Its not particularly powerful but it sits quite high above the lens and so it reduces red eye. Best of all it's an auto flash (not TTL of course) but its dead accurate in its exposure. Very small, very light and I picked it up for just a few bucks.