Where to buy your equipment and What to buy?

van_deleon

I was just wondering where I should buy my equipment from? Online or at a local

store? I live in Southern California so if any of you have any suggestions on

where to buy, I would greatly appreciate it. I am very new to all this and just

getting into wedding photography. Currently my budget is around $3000. Going to

shoot my first wedding as a second shooter for a friend in October (doing it for

free of course). Ceremony will be inside a Church and reception in a hotel.

This is what I'm thinking of buying:

Canon 40D kit [when it is released in September] (Which one should I get? the

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS Lens OR with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM AF Lens?)

580 EX II Flash

LIGHTSPHERE Flash Diffuser (Cloud) by Gary Fong

Two 4 gig Compact Flash

Battery pack? (suggestions please)

Other lenses? (suggestions please)

My backup: (depending on much I have left or If I can raise my budget more from

now till the day I actually order)

-Either a Canon XTi or a 30D depending on how much more i can raise my budget

430 EX flash

I hear that the 5D seems to be one of the most popular for wedding

photographers. I'm thinking of getting this instead of the two mentioned above,

but then I wont have a backup and my budget will definitely be gone. Can I

produce the same image quality with 40D or 30D as a 5D? I know that the 5D is a

fullframe and other two are not. It's really all about the lenses right?

Also now that the Mk II and 30D have been upgraded to the Mk III and 40D, you

think the 5D is next?

Many have suggested to me before in getting the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM

Autofocus Lens, but right now, that is way over my budget. (or is that the wrong

lense?)

I was thinking of buying at SAMY's Camera (www.samys.com) Anyone have experience

buying from them? Good customer service or bad?

How about www.bhphotovideo.com or ritz camera? Any other suggestions on where to

buy?

Any suggestions/opinions on buying extended warranties?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

-Van

I found my Nikon D-200 body on eBay for $1105.00; my Sigma 17~70 f/2.8 out of a small Brooklyn NY dealer for $330; & my SB-800 strobe from B&H for $305 (couldn't wait for an eBay deal).

...BUT!! I've been selling on eBay since early 2000 and know the ropes...

I bought all of my lenses at BHphotovideo because they are cheaper than regular commercial store. I bought my cf cards at adorama. I bought my camera from Circuit City for there No interest till 2009 gives me some room to pay it monthly and Flashes from BestBuy same with No interest.

Also i went on a upgrade spree. I have this combination: 5d is great with 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 but that alone is more than $3000 but its really a good combination my back up is my old XT with but i can use all lenses with that so during the ceremony i have the XT with 24-70 and the 5d with 70-200. Also i got the 50mm ($less than a hundred bucks). I have 2 430 ex but looking to upgrade soon. Sammy's is good too when i puchased my think tank stuff. My advice look around it took me awhile to figure it out too but i am happy about my purchases. I think the no interest stuff is great but then thats only my opinion also im from texas im sure its different from other other states.

I HATE SAMYS! There! I gave you my true opinion! The issues I have with this place is once you buy you are pretty much stuck with it. Bringing something back is close to impossible and if they do they won't give a refund; just store credit so you can get stuck with them for lots of money.

You won't see a huge difference in cameras at 8x10 prints, but you will after that. The 5d is an excellent camera for large quality enlargements.

I'm not sure where in S. California you are located, but if you want special attention and have all of your questions answered check out Woodland Hills Camera. Ask for Scott. He's pretty sharp regarding Canons and pretty much matches online store prices, such as B&H.

I've read that the 30D is the same camera as the 5D as far as body construction. The difference is the full frame. Thats a big difference.

I'm going to put in a plug for supporting photo.net and buying through amazon (or one of it's connected stores like adorama). Just click through on any link in the Canon equipment articles.

Other than that, I suggest B&H. I will also say that I have had no issues with Samy's the few times that I have bought from them.

</p>Van,

</p>The best idea is to get the most bang for your buck, as well as getting the best

quality for your budget.

</p>For your first question, consider <a href="http://www.keh.com">KEH.com</a> for

your purchases. They have an excellent reputation for new and used equipment, and your

prices will be lower than ordering from NYC. Check the archives, this is a great company

that more people should be utilizing.

</p>Looking at your budget, I would consider two options. The first is much easier and

cheaper than you may expect. Shoot film. You can get two camera and lens kits with

flashes for probably less than half of your budget. Film is still viable. For a little

inspiration check <a href="http://www.josevilla.com">Jose Villa's site</a>.

</p>If you are determined for the digital route, I thought long and hard about what I

would do in your shoes. First of all, you are correct that you will need a backup system.

Two of everything to be exact. From a purely financial aspect I would purchase two Rebel

XTI's, one with the 17-55 kit lens, and one body only. If you have not seen what this very

humble camera is capable of, you do not know what you are missing. Many of my

students use Rebel's, and many have shot terrific weddings with them. Next I would

purchase two 580EX II flashes. These are expensive but very good lights. Third, I would

purchase the 85mm 1.8. This lens is so good for weddings it should be called nasty. If

you are set on a diffuser, the whale tail is a much better product than the lightsphere but

if you don't want to spend 220 for two of them, you can walk down the same road with a

Stofen diffuser - it works just as good for $180 less.

Your total so far would be: $2558 + shipping

<ul><li>Rebel XTI w/ 17-55 kit, 719</li>

<li>Rebel XTI, body only, 639</li>

<li>Canon 85mm 1.8, 340</li>

<li>2 - 580EX II's, 820</li>

<li>2 - Stofen diffusers, 40</li></ul>

</p>The rest of your budget would purchase all additional items for your shoot. A 15

minute AA charger and at least three sets of AA's for your flashes. A satchel type bag to

keep all of this crap on your person at all times during the event - The Domke Journalist

bags would be good for the purpose. And finally, buy as much memory as possible.

</p>This budget assumes that you have photoshop or other program available and the

ability to use it in post-processing.

</p>Well, that's what I would do in your shoes. Actually, I would do film first then before

I put any cash down on the digital equipment I would just rent a total rig from

lensrentals.com for the freebie wedding. That would be much better idea than purchasing

all this stuff just to see if you like doing it. Weddings are not easy.</p>P.S. the 28-135 is

a dog of a lens for wedding work. Pass on it.

My two cents worth. The 30D is still a good camera and can be had at B&H for $1000 now. Also the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 is an excellent lens and costs around $400 (or, if want everything at f2.8, the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro). That would leave you enough money for the 70-200 f2.8 L IS and you would have a very nice professional system.

van - I think that your budget is too low, and I say that as someone who built up my pro photography equipment when I was working at $20,000 a year day job as a political aide in the not-very-cheap-to-live-in city of washington dc.

check this out - first, you will probably buy a new body every few years, b/c they will make you salivate. bodies is how companies make their money. a 70-200 2.8 lens, OTOH, can last 10 years before it is updated.

if you must be cheap, invest in lenses. skimp on bodies.

if $1100 for the 24-70 L is over your budget, your budget is too small. that's just the way it is, my friend.

my suggestion? don't buy a 5D.

buy two 1.6 crop bodies.

forget the 17-85. sharp lens, but way too slow. forget the 28-135, too - the focal length range isn't wide enough, unless you plan to have another wider lens like the 10-22 to complement it.

I suggest:

two canon 20D or 30D bodies. I have purchased and resold 20D bodies in the $600-$700 range. I have seen 30D bodies in the $900 range right now. when the 40D starts to ship, those prices will go DOWN.

EF-S 17-55. you get IS and 2.8 and a very useful focal length. $1100.

EF 85mm 1.8. fast focusing, 1.8, and small and light. only $350 or so. great for portraits of small groups with lovely bokeh. I use the 1.2, which is 4x the price, but only because the color is just a bit nicer. the 1.8 is a great lens to get candids of one or two people talking from 12-20 feet away.

if I could have any two lenses on 1.6 crop bodies on a limited budget, it would be the 85mm 1.8 and the 17-55 1.8.

that said, I recommend you consider your $$ in lenses as an investment in yourself. a 10mm and a 100mm make a VERY different image. is the difference between a 10D/20D or a 40D or a 5D all that different? nope, not unless you are VERY talented. there are photographers who have fancy 5D and 1ds Mark 2 cameras but have crappy lenses, and the work of someone with an XXD camera with a good assortment of lenses will be much more interesting.

finally - it is easy to go through 8 gigs when shooting raw. I suggest that you do so - or at least try it. then buy more CF cards.

so - spend MORE money on lenses, LESS on bodies. if you can't afford those lenses, work a lot and SAVE YOUR MONEY. don't skimp on lenses if you really want to do this seriously.

many people expected teh 5D to be updated - so far, no word of it.

I recommend B&H. all my big purchases are through them.

+1 to getting some film cameras for a while. a good computer for post processing with a good calibrated monitor and RAM can be another $2000 or more. it's a big chunk of change. I spent $25k over the past two years or so - it is easy to spend a lot of cash.

finally, if budgest are an issue, then I would advise you how to study light and learn how to manipulate it - this will elevate your work faster than anything else I know, which means you will be commanding higher daily rates.

check out www.strobist.com. learn how to use your flash wickedly awesomely. here's an exampel from a wedding on sunday in Iowa.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. They really are helping me make my decision. Please keep them coming.

What I am thinking right now is to go buy a 40D when it comes out and rent a 5D for a day or two for the wedding. Since I am only starting out and new to all this. I don't expect to do as many weddings as I would like to do due to the fact that I am a grad student still and school has been keeping me busy, but I really do want to start very soon with learning to become a wedding photographer. I am around that age where many of my friends are getting closer to take the big plunge and start walking the aisle probably within the next 1-3 years.

I also expect to raise my budget another $1000 within the next month, so my total budget will be $4000.

Seems like the majority of you, it not all of you, are telling me NOT to buy the 40D with the lens kit, but instead go for Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L USM Lens, 85mm 1.8 and the 17-55 1.8.

Here's a rookie question for you:

Should I always shoot in RAW when shooting weddings? How much space does RAW take up on a 4 gig compact flash? I've read that RAW are much larger than jpegs and that with RAW you have more control over the picture in post processing than with Jpegs. I also hear that you shouldn't give out your RAW to your clients. Your answers and opinions would be most helpful.

-Van

I shoot little digital --since film cameras are about $100...but, we purchased a used 20d & a 17-40 > they were about $500 each ...then find a Quantum flash setup ~~ for $3-400 :: and you can out-shoot your primary photographer, at next months wedding.

i bought my canon xti/400D from dell.com.. because dell had a 25% off coupon so it was a great deal and i think they are good so you know you get the real thing i guess.. i bought my crumpler camera bag from bel air camera in Los Angeles..its a very good store with good service..they do Have a good selection of Leica cameras and lenses with a weekly representative from leica to help you with your selection and to answer your questions( he is a german guy) once he gave me a leica lense tissue for free :)

samy is good with good selections..but i dont know about their refunds or exchange policies...but they are reputable and professionals

i would also buy from B&H they are very good with good selection

I personally would not rent a 5D if you are used to using a 40D as you will find differences in the way depth of field is controlled which for someone starting out will add confusion. As already mentioned you will be better off with 2 x 20D, 30D or 40D so you have consistency. Also when looking at the lenses if you were running with a 5D you will not be able to use the EF-S lenses such as the 17-55 f2.8 so you need to be aware of that. If you are getting the 17-55 then you would not initially need the 24-70mm f2.8 (for now) as you will need the wider angle of the 17-55.

With shooting RAW they are a lot larger than jpg however nearly every wedding shooter uses it (there is one notable exception namely Jeff Ascough). RAW gives you more control over the photos following the shoot and you are also getting more information which is important in the highlights (wedding dress) and the shadows (grooms suit etc). I take 16Gb memory with me for a wedding just to be on the safe side.

van - you are correct that raw is bigger than JPG. the # of files on a card depends on the camera. there is no set rule about that.

on my 20D cameras, I can get about 100-120 RAW files for every gigabyte of card space.

btw - do you have any friends who might have these cameras? I'm guessing that if you get a chance to try out a 5D or a 20D, you would get a sense whether you really need a 5D.

renting can get expensive - a 5D is probably $100 a day at most places...do that 10 times, and you have half of the cameras cost!

I would suggest anyone who is on a budget to very seriously consider whether the 5D (used $2100 or so) with 24-70 L lens (used $900), really produces 2x better files than a used 20D ($750) and 17-55 2.8 (used $850-$900)...just a thought.

conrad

yes, raw gives you MUCH more file flexibility.

I strongly encourage everyone to try raw shooting, and nearly all of the serious photographers who try it stick with it. why? it gives you much more post exposure flexibility with changing brightness, contrast, and balance. shooting JPGs, you have very little options if you mistakenly underexposure by 1.5 stops. with raw, it's not perfect, but it isn't the end of the world.

shooting JPGs is a constant stress for weddings, with constantly changing lighting conditions. shooting raws made weddings fun again.