Any Reason to buy a new Rollei TRL?

jonee

I am looking to buy a new camera and just recently noticed the brand new Rollei

TRL's - the 80mm and the 50mm. Does anybody own these cameras and is there any

benefit from owning them. I already have a Hasselblad system which I am very

happy with. It just looked very interesting. I like the electronic metering. Any

comments on it apart from its ridiculous price?

I have a GX TLR, and use it (when shooting film) on travel. It has compactness, and takes

remarkably good photos - the simple lens on that thing is, well, remarkable. Let me know

if you wnat me to send some shots - I've done some scans of these negs, and they are

very strong, edge to edge.

I happen to really like the Rollei ergonomics, and while the camera is a peculiar throwback,

it really works. i'd love to have the 50 m version, but haven't sprung for it, as the film stuff

is a bit slow coming out of the closet these days.

One last thing - check the shutter release if you get one. Some of the older ones (I think

its better now) had a sticky shutter release, and shooting under 1/30th was a bit tricky.

Mine loosened up with more use, and is better, but still not as easy to handhold down low

as the 6003 Rollei. Peculiarly, a stripped down 6003 with a WLF, and the thinner back of

the 6003 is not much heavier than the GX. Bigger, a bit, but not heavier. So its not the

weight of the TLR - its the amazing lenses in those small packages. Great for travel.

Jonathan,

given the low volume of production, the dedication of the small Franke & Heidecke company to quality and the price of German workforce I would not call the prices ridiculous. Judging from MTF graphs (http://www.franke-heidecke.net/)the lenses will not outperform the Zeiss lenses for your Hasselblad. But if it makes you taking more or even nicer pictures, buy one (or all three ;-).

Ulrik

I just bought a new FX to go along with my 2.8F. The rumor that the FX is not a well made

camera is false. It doesn't have 220 capability and it has no self timer but it is a great

camera. The HFT coated Planar is an amazing lens. It has absolutely no flare and is very

sharp at 2.8. As opposed to the older single coated 2.8 Planar which has a flare problem

and is hard to get sharp at 2.8. The shutter is a bit different because you have the half

way spot where the meter kicks in, but it is easy to tell when you are at that spot and from

there the shutter release is smooth. I don't bother with the meter in mine as I am an old

school spot meter guy so I don't even keep a battery in the camera. But I understand the

meter is really good.. whereas the older meters are a bit too broad and affected by the sky.

It hard to say if the value is reasonable especially with the US dollar down. I got a new

camera for 3000. Compared to a mint condition white face 2.8F I would say the price is

reasonable. I have seen, on ebay, several late series 2.8F white face with Xenotars go over

2000. Now it looks like the new camera is over 4000. That is quite a lot for a camera.

One thing I don't like about the new FX is the stock focusing screen. It is bright and all

but outside the split image and micro screen it is really hard to focus. You might need to

upgrade the screen to either a Maxwell or a better Rollei screen. I put a Maxwell in mine

and it is very very nice.

I have a Rollei 2.8 FX and really like it. Of course, it is rather expensive, but it's really a great camera.<br>

Now Rolleiflex manufactures the FW wide angle (50mm) but also recently the tele FT with a 135mm lens.<br>

I have a SLR system (Rollei) like your Hasselblad, but I don't carry it all day long with all lenses, backs and accessories.

On the contrary, when I am outdoors, the FX is a wonderful companion.

• 1 month later...
I have used many vintage Rolleiflex cameras over the years. They were amazing cameras, but... Every one needed repair to be fully functional. The fault was not in the design or craftsmenship. Over the years thay had been messed with by third rate techs and amatures. BUY THE NEW ONE. It will be light, portable and produce amazing pictures even when compared with the Hasselbled. Then you get your chance to mess with it or not. Left alone a Rolleiflex TLR will last for ever. And, they will be easy (but not cheap)to repair and clean if there are any real techs left.

• 4 months later...
Rolleiflexes are very good and very expensive cameras. If you want one, go for it. My granfather had one(8omm with the 2.8 scneider xenotar) and gave it to me before he died. This camera blows away any 135mm camera. I suppose that the new fx model will have new coatings and sure it will permorm better at large apertures that the oldie ones. But if you want resolution buy a tachihara 4x5 field camera and three large format lenses (wide, normal and short tele). It will cost half the prize of a new rollefex and it blows away any medium format camera,hassel.., Mamiya, rollei ... Yes, I know that field cameras are larger and bigger but let me tell you something: When I travel, my minilux and mi ricoh gr1 come with me. When I want a serious photo I take my Tachihara 4x5. Are there any differences between my rolleiflex and my minilux and ricoh? Yes, there are(Rolleiflex give me more resolution).Are there any differences between my tachihara 4x5 and my rolleiflex 2.8? Yes, there are.(Large format give me more and more and more resolution). The difference between large format and medium format is much more big than the difereence between medium format and 135mm cameras.If I want a 20x30cm or smaller print I take my minilux or 135mm or digital camera. If I want bigger enlargements I take my tachihara. I don't use my rolleiflex very much, and I won't buy a new one. I prefer 135mm or large format. But if you want a rollei, go for it.