An alternative to Ilford's Smooth Pearl

I'm writing this from my blackberry so i didn't have a chance to do a thorough search.

Anyway, I've been a big fan of Ilford's Smooth Pearl paper. I've enjoyed the results of printing on various sheet sizes on my Canon IPF5000 for some time now. However, when I finally decieded to buy by the roll I discovered Canon's nasty little trick. They disabled the media type "Photo Paper Pr?" rendering my roll of paper some what useless.

Seeing that buying a new printter is not an option I would greatly appreciate it if anyone with this machince would recomend a. Brand or two of a pearl/luster/satin type paper they have had success with that I could sample with a similar or better look quailty and feel of the Ilford SP paper.

Thanks in advance.

I don't get it. If you like Ilford Galaerie Smooth Pearl, why not use Ilford Galarie Smooth Pearl roll with your iPF5000? The trick is to set the paper type that is compatable with Smooth Pearl which uses Photo Black ink, just like Photo Paper Plus. If you were to set your Smooth Pearl roll as HW Glossy Photo Paper roll, you should get a compatable result as if you WERE able to set your roll as Photo paper plus. I also have iPF5000 and that is how I use Galerie Smooth Pearl roll on mine.

For available Media Paper and Path options on iPF5000 visit http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/Media+Type+Paper+Paths

I'm familiar with that website and that method. However, i do not find the results comaprable IMO. Even with custom propiling It stil lacks saturation and pop.

I'lstill use use the smooth pearl in sheets. But there are situation where the sheets are not long enough. (I.e. 16x24 and panaramics.

pe

You are saying there are absolutely no comparable Canon paper settings for use to use with the Ilford?

Many of these papers are quite similar (Epson Premium Semi-gloss, Inkjetart Micro Ceramic semigloss, Ilford pearl all look pretty similar). Ditto for some of the lusters.

Hi roger.

What i am saying is when you use sheets of ilford smooth pearl loaded in the paper tray (canon actually calls it cassette) you are able to access the proper ilford recomended media setting which is "photo paper pr?." But when you use that same paper in a roll canon no longer allows you access to that media setting "photo paper pr?."

I've tried differnt custom profiling other media settings but iMO the image quality is not the same. It's not as simple as Mike Kim stated to match use a different media setting that uses photo black ink. Each media setting tells the printer how to distribute the ink on the paper for that specific media. Even the link he posted leaves the smooth pearl blank in the "roll" colum.

"I've tried differnt custom profiling other media settings but iMO the image quality is not the same."

That surprises me- in my experience glossy media are more similar than different but I don't have your system. Did you do blind tests so your preconceptions don't get in the way?

I print on Silver Rag using settings for Ultra Premium Glossy Paper and if I mix up semi-gloss with glossy or luster it really usually isn't a visible difference. Canon may be different in some way.

I'm guessing Canon Photo Paper Pr doesn't come in a roll which is why the setting disappears. Canon's too smart for its own good.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I was wondering why you choose the HW Glossy Photo Paper for your Ilford Smooth Pearl instead of the HW Semi Gloss Photo Papern as from the reading I have done they put the ilford smooth pearl paper in the Semi Gloss group.

I just picked up my ipf5000 with a roll of smooth pearl and I will try the HW glossy photo paper option but at the moment I'm with Sean and agree the images lack saturation and pop. My panoramic landscapes are very colour and I'm finding them flat.