Sleeper / unknown awesome scanners... post here

I tried out a Scitex Creo Eversmart scanner a while ago and was blown away at

the quality of this scanner. It's an older scanner, probably cost a bundle back

in the day, but it still gave me scans that blew away my Expression 3200. I was

scanning in 4x5 Polaroid type 55 negative. Right on the glass too, no holder.

Can't do that with the Epson.

So I'm wondering... are there some older scanners, "sleeper" scanners that

people who aren't in the high-end scanning biz don't know about? Maybe a scanner

that cost $10,000 in 1995 but now costs $500 and uses SCSI but blows away an

Epson 750?

Just curious.

I've heard of people who buy old drum scanners for real cheap (compared to what

they went for in the day).

Let's hear some suggestions for stuff that is under $1500 and will blow away,

say, a Nikon 9000 film scanner or the Epson 750 and the Canon equivalent.

What about those Epson 10000XL models?

Doesn't Fuji have something as well?

Let's hear it...

I hope we get some positive responses, because I agree--the professional stuff just blows

away the consumer scanners out there. However, the bad news is that the first scanner you

mentioned, the Creo Eversmart scanner (now owned by Kodak) is still being made and still

cost a lot--I think the least expensive one is $11,500.

As a sidenote, I once owned an Imacon FlexTight III that cost in the neighborhood of the

Creo and can attest to the Creo's vast superiority.

Good point Kip, but the one I was using was a really old one in terms of scanner technology. It was a big scanner, apparently had less resolution than my Epson 3200, however the 4x5 Polaroid 55 I scanned on that Creo was way better than my Epson. I've tried searching on ebay for the scanner but because there are so many different names in the product, it's hard to tell if I'm looking at hte same scanners. I think I found one on ebay a few weeks ago that seemed to be the closest to the one I was using, and it was selling close to $2000. Again... this is an old scanner.. from before Kodak even owned it.

Jeff, before you leap you might want to try a better film holder (3rd party) on your 3200.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/mstation.html

Using the adjustable height (focus) version with 120 I've picked up significantly better detail resolution with my old 3200. I've not yet tried with 4X5 but will soon. The anti-newton and simple glassless carriers are also better than OEM, but the adjustable version is distinctly best.

I've not tried wet mounting yet, but it's said to offer even more improvement. Ask Doug what he thinks about that...he won't BS you.

• 2 months later...

I'm late to this dance, but was looking for information myself and stumbled upon this discussion. My interests are in a scanner that will do production work of 35mm & 120 formats in cut and uncut strips. Have any of you looked at something like the Durst Sigma 67? It seems normally to be used for labs & mini-labs, but for a used version at $5,000 it might be worth looking at. What say ye all?

-- Kent Miles